Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection 2014 Sonoma-Cutrer Finish
- ABV: 45.2%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Pinot noir finished Bourbon
- Cost: £119.90 available from Master of Malt
- Origin: Woodford Reserve distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
The Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection Sonoma-Cutrer Pinot Noir Finish is the latest in product innovation from Woodford Reserve, and marks the ninth release in the series. The Sonoma-Cutrer Pinot Noir Finish was produced by taking a batch of mature Woodford Reserve and finishing the spirit in Pinot Noir barrels freshly emptied and shipped from California’s famed Sonoma-Cutrer Winery. Take a look at our Master Distiller’s explanation behind his inspiration for Sonoma-Cutrer Pinot Noir Finish.
Official tasting notes:
- APPEARANCE Rich, deep garnet.
- NOSE Bursting with rich red fruit and berry character overlaying a complex sprinkling of spice (cinnamon, clove), oak and dark caramel.
- TASTE Warm and fruit forward with notes of cherry, raspberry, blackberry followed by a crisp spiciness and subtle oak sweetness.
- FINISH Long and warm with lingering fruit and earthy oak character.
What I say
This Masters Edition takes Woodford Reserve Cask Strength Bourbon typically around 7 years old and matured it for a further 10 months in Sonoma-Cutrer ex french oak Pinot Noir casks – making it instantly not a bourbon as bourbon can only be matured in virgin oak casks! Sadly this means generally there is a lot less cask-finished Bourbon whiskies around to sample when compared to Scotch single malt for example. Thankfully The folks at Brown Forman / Woodford Reserve cared very little for the fact this wasn’t a classic bourbon and used the freedom of their Masters Edition range to try this out.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Deep red gold with ruby highlights (14/20), medium-fine tears and thin legs.
- Nose: Sweet, maple syrup, strawberry marshmallow, plum sauce, spiced, star anise, cinnamon, chocolate-dipped strawberries, hints of biro ink, brown sugar, leather and vanilla.
- Taste: Oily and sugary, maple syrup, brown sugar, woody sugars, pencil shavings, biro ink, floral rose, fruity blackcurrant and bramble, raspberry, red apples, polished wood, chocolate, vanilla pods.
- Finish: Long, cinnamon spiced red apple pie, polished and resinous oak wood.
A beautiful combination of bourbon and red wine cask finishing that added plenty of red fruits.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review