Blair Athol 21 Years Old Batch 5 (51.5%, That Boutique-Y Whisky Company, 2019)
- ABV: 51.5%
- Age: 21 years Old
- Bottling: That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £?
- Origin: Blair Athol distillery
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
The Blair Athol distillery resides happily in the highlands, producing whisky for a number of blended whisky, one of the most notable being Bell’s. However, should you get a chance to get your hands on some of their single malt, do so – it’s tasty stuff. Wouldn’t you know it, we have a bottling of Blair Athol single malt! We’re good like that. While we’re good at bottling whisky, the chap on the label of our Blair Athol is good at shaping his topiary. Everyone has their calling in life, whether it’s whisky bottling, shrub clipping, bell ringing or a fourth activity.
What I say
Door #5 in That Boutique-Y Whisky Company’s 2019 Advent Calendar is this 21 year old Blair Athol expression, batch #5.
This post was sponsored by That Boutique-Y Whisky Company by provision of their 2019 Advent Calendar.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Sauternes gold (8/20), almost stationary, medium-fine tears and thin legs.
- Nose: Fruity, waxy and dusty, golden raisins, apples, fresh, red and also a little fermented scrumpy apple, golden syrup and a touch of cinnamon, rich apple pie, buttery and biscuity shortcrust pastry cereal notes
- Taste: Clearer on the palate, golden syrup sweetness, apple juice, a touch of citrus zest, orange and lemon, possibly even grapefruits, becomes chewy, quite thick and full-bodied on the palate, more golden raisins, a white pepper and cinnamon dry white oak spice builds slightly then subsides into more mouth-watering honeyed sweetness,
- Finish: Long, zesty and peppery spices dry oak and shortbread, buttery with a touch of salt perhaps.
Everything gently whispers refill sherry cask from this Blair Athol expression, mostly full of luscious subtleties though a little spice can become dry and overpowering if you let it.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt