Kininvie 3 Years Old 2015 Rye KVSG002 (47.8%, OB, Virgin American Oak, 2019)
- ABV: 47.8%
- Age: 3 Years Old
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Single grain scotch whisky
- Cost: £35
- Origin: Kininvie Distillery
- Vintage: 2015
What they say
KVSG002 – Behind this expression is an experiment to explore the different flavour profiles generated by cereals other than the usual malted barley to see if, and how, the addition of malted rye could alter the whisky’s profile. KVSG002 is a three-year-old Single Grain whisky aged in Virgin American oak casks with an ABV of 47.8%, defined by the addition of malted rye to the mash. What was observed was that the final product had a distinguished toffee flavour along with the classic spiciness associated with rye.
What I say
The second experimental series whisky from Kininvie Works takes a look at an unusual mashbill(!) with the use of Rye added into the mash.
This post was sponsored by Kininvie Works by provision of this product.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: 18ct Gold (6/20), numerous medium tears and medium legs
- Nose: Spicier with more caramel and toffee on the nose, fruity, cherries in brandy, new leather, tobacco leaf, some chocolate.
- Taste: Medium bodied, Caramel, butterscotch, toffee, spice develops gently, cinnamon, nutmeg, that fruity cherry note again, like cherry liqueur dark chocolates, leathery, tobacco leaf.
- Finish: Medium, cocoa and caramel
A much better whisky than the single malt, this Rye has plenty of flavour from the cereals as well as virgin oak casks to aid maturation. Remarkable that this is only 3 years old as it feels and tastes much more mature than this. (Spoiler alert) this was my favourite of the three initial releases.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review