Pacory Calvados Domfrontais Hors d’Age
- Category: Calvados Domfrontais
- Origin: Frédéric and Catherine Pacory, Ferme des Grimaux
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 42%
- Cost: £38.05 available from Master of Malt
What they say:
What I say
Another expression from Ferme Des Grimaux, from their traditional Calvados Domfrontais range. I was delighted to note when purchasing these a New Wave of Calvados Domfrontais from Pacory. Presented in modern packaging this range of 3, 6 and 8 year old expressions are presented at cask strength and the 8 year old derived from 100% pear fermentation! However I digress as I still haven’t tried too much of their traditional range just yet! This Hors d’Age (or literally ‘beyond age’) sits between their 12 and 16 year old expressions so I suspect it means more than 12 years old.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light gold/green (6/20), slow, rounded & oily, medium-sized droplets with medium legs.
- Nose: Fragrant and fruity on the nose, very fresh, sweet and obvious pear influence but also lashings of vanilla cream and custard giving this a real sticky sweet aroma, clarified butter and furniture polish add to the sweet esters.
- Taste: Medium-full bodied, more vanilla upfront, then rhubarb and custard sweeties, vanilla custard, apple danish pastry, remains sweet throughout, ripe pears and banana with a little muscovado sugar and white chocolate buttons.
- Finish: Long, sharp and a little drying, white pepper, vanilla seeds
Very fruity and fresh, slightly ascerbic and drying fresh oak influence with masses of vanilla throughout to complement the sweetness of the fruits.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review