The GlenDronach 23 Years Old 1995 PX Puncheon #3040 (52.5%, OB, Batch 17, 603 Bottles, 2019)
- ABV: 52.5%
- Age: 23 Years Old
- Bottling: OB, Single Cask releases Batch 17
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £200
- Origin: GlenDronach distillery
- Vintage: 1995
What they say
THE GLENDRONACH INTRODUCES CASK BOTTLING BATCH 17: FOURTEEN HAND SELECTED CASKS FROM 1990 TO 2007
The GlenDronach Distillery is pleased to announce the release of the seventeenth batch of its acclaimed Cask Bottling programme. Fourteen casks dating from 1990 to 2007 have been personally selected by Master Blender, Dr Rachel Barrie, specially chosen for their exceptional character, to celebrate and share some of the finest examples of The GlenDronach’s richly-sherried Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky. Each expression in this release has been bottled from a single cask and offers the richly deep colour, full-bodied complexity and long, satisfying finish for which The GlenDronach is known.
Resting in the earthen-floored, traditional dunnage warehouses of The GlenDronach Distillery is an exquisite selection of fine Spanish oak sherry casks, slowing maturing The GlenDronach’s full-bodied Highland spirit. Making Single Malt Scotch Whisky of elegant and complex character has become a signature of The GlenDronach, as a master of sherry cask maturation since 1826.
This seventeenth release of The GlenDronach Cask Bottling programme includes a rich selection of the distillery’s signature Pedro Ximénez and Oloroso sherry casks from Andalucía in Spain, as well as two Port pipes from the Douro Valley in Portugal. Collectors can also find a rare cask from 1995, one of the last remaining casks at the distillery from this vintage.
Master Blender, Dr Rachel Barrie, said:
“The batch seventeen cask selection truly celebrates The GlenDronach house style; robust, elegant, fruity and full-bodied. Each cask individually explores the sophistication, powerful intricacy and rich layers of Spanish sherry cask maturation found in every GlenDronach expression; from layers of crème brûlée, treacle toffee and over-ripe banana in 1990 to baked blackberry and currants with dark chocolate in 1992, burnt raisin and Oloroso-soaked tobacco leaf in 1995 to toasted pain au raisin and butterscotch simmering beneath the surface in 2007. The distinctive flavour and rich mouthfeel of each cask has developed during the slow maturation process. All fourteen casks are bottled without chill filtration for richness, at high strength and are naturally deep in colour.”
The GlenDronach Cask Bottling – Batch 17 is available to purchase from specialist retailers from August 2019 in Europe, Asia, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.
Depending on the expression, the ABV ranges from 49.3% to 60.9%. As with all The GlenDronach expressions, each is non-chill filtered and draws all its natural colour from the cask in which it rests.
Official tasting notes:
- 1995 CASK #3040
- Aged: 23 Years Old
- Cask Type: Pedro Ximénez Puncheon
- Appearance: Antique bronze with russet highlights.
- Nose: Elegant and piquant with silver birch leaf, vines and dates, lifted by mint dark chocolate, opening to blackcurrant, smoke and vetiver tobacco leaf.
- Palate: Sip mouth-watering blackcurrant and menthol rolling on the palate with mango and papaya.
- Savour dark manuka honey, lemon peel and cassis in the deliciously mouth-watering finish.
- ABV: 52.5%
What I say
The first (and youngest!) of a trio of expressions from The GlenDronach’s batch 17 of their renowned single cask release series. For review we received three cask samples from the releases destined for the Asia-Pacific and Canadian markets. The first was distilled 04/10/1995 and matured in a a Pedro Ximénez sherry puncheon for 23 years before bottling in 2019 at 52.5% cask strength.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark golden auburn (14/20), numerous fine tears – slightly oily and leaving thin legs.
- Nose: A heady mix of sherry and tobacco hits the nose, a mixture of raisin and rancio, sweeter sticky toffee pudding and figs arise after the initial burst of aroma, sweet, syrupy and with baking spices, gingerbread, freshly sawn oak wood, sandalwood and cigar boxes all with a hint of rose water.
- Taste: Full bodied, richly fruity, rum and raisin, oaky spices, toffee, fig, prune, cinnamon, gingerbread, cocoa-dusted toasted almonds and a dash of kirsch and cassis.
- Finish: Long, sweet and spiced, earthy and woody blackcurrant/bramble.
A fantastic PX matured expression from GlenDronach, rich, malty and full-bodied with polished antique oak, spice and dark fruits. It is clear to see where the fame and appetite for these single cask batch releases arises.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review