Auchroisk 16 Years Old 1999 Strictly Limited
- ABV: 46%
- Age: 16 Years Old
- Bottling: Carn Mor, Strictly Limited
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £49.95
- Origin: Auchroisk distillery
- Vintage: 1999
What they say
Distilled at Auchroisk distillery in 1999 and matured for over 16 years in 2 hogshead’s before bottling in 2016, produced 725 bottles at 46%.
What I say
The second of our Auchroisk trio/vertical also comes from a marrying of 2 casks by Carn Mor. This time it was distilled a year earlier in 1999 and left for a further 3 years to mature reaching 16 years old.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: 18ct gold (6/20), long, fine legs and medium tears.
- Nose: Fresh, more cereal than the 13yo and a touch more vanilla and lactose – slightly more ‘new make’ or spirit influence, subtle coppery metallic, lemon and lime citrus fruits, green apple, kiwi fruit, white grape, nectarine, doughy – brioche.
- Taste: Thick and full-bodied, silky on the palate, light honey, barley malt and mixed fruits; apple, white grape, kiwi, galia melon, white oak wood, slightly sour and zesty, lime oil.
- Finish: Long, sour oak wood, drying, unsweetened pastry.
Another finely balanced expression – a little more spirit character present in this one despite it’s extra years of maturation over the 13 year old 2000 vintage comparator from the same bottler. On the nose a lot more woody but a little lacking in distinct ripened fruit flavours perhaps?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review