Caol Ila 8 Years Old 2009 Bass (58.6%, Lockett Bros, Bourbon HH #315337, 273 bottles, 2017)
- ABV: 58.6%
- Age: 8 Years Old
- Bottling: Morrison & Mackay, Lockett Bros
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £60
- Origin: Caol Ila distillery
- Vintage: 2009
What they say
Distilled at Caol Ila distillery 25/08/2009 and matured for 8 years in bourbon hogshead #315337 before bottling 02/10/2017 at cask strength 58.6% ABV producing 273 bottles. Sourced by Morrison & Mackay and bottled for Lockett Bros Island Series ‘The Island of Bass’
What I say
The second in our Caol Ila trio is a year older and distilled back in 2009 but other than that remarkably similar having spent its time maturing in a refill Bourbon hogshead.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Champagne gold (2/20), medium-large tears and medium legs.
- Nose: Much more vanilla and polished wood going on here, slightly lighter smoke influence, fresh lemon citrus, lemon curd, ham, cigarette smoke, a sweet salinity that reminds me of shellfish and scallop meat in particular.
- Taste: Lemon zest, honey, white pepper, dry peppery spiced oak, nutmeg, cask char, menthol and liqourice, I’m guessing 3rd or 4th fill cask perhaps? usual coastal smoke abounds.
- Finish: Long, liqourice, honey, burnt/black toast
Slightly less well rounded and full bodied than the younger sample we tried, evidence of a slightly under-active or over-aerated cask perhaps?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt