Caol Ila 1984 Connoisseurs Choice (52.8%, Gordon & MacPhail, Refill Sherry HH #6078, 216 bottles, 2018)
- ABV: 52.8%
- Age: 33 Years Old
- Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail, Batch 18/062
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £sold out
- Origin: Caol Ila distillery
- Vintage: 1984
What they say
Distilled Tuesday, December 11, 1984 at Caol Ila distillery and matured for over 33 years in refill sherry hogshead #6078 before bottling Tuesday, July 3, 2018 at 52.8% ABV, producing 216 bottles.
Official tasting notes:
- Aroma Sweet and savoury; maple cured bacon and salted toffee open into nostalgic old fashioned sweet aromas.A gentle smoky edge lingers.
- Taste An exploration of fruits: flavours of papaya, plum, lemon, lime, raspberry, and spiced apple highlighted by toasted malt and milk chocolate.
- Finish Wisps of peat smoke with lingering tobacco.
What I say
The final in our Caol Ila trio takes a huge leap in age statement to a massive 33 years old. This cask strength aged Caol Ila was released as part of Gordon & macPhail’s revamped Connoisseur’s Choice range in 2018.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark yellow gold (9/20), medium-fine tears and thin legs.
- Nose: Woody and orange citrus, zest and fruit, pineapple, dried mango, tropical, a hint of smoke and coastal saline notes, vanilla custard slice pastries.
- Taste: Rich and oily and full-bodied, vanilla, dry hay, malt, lemon curd, pineapple fritter, dried mango, papaya, banana fritter well fried in syrup, pineapple upside-down cake, scallops and seaweed seared in butter.
- Finish: Long, woody, syrupy tropical fruit, sea salt and a wisp of char and smoke.
Tropical fruits on a bbq, a rich and deep fruity profile for this aged example then a dash of salt like seared scallops in butter, plenty of woody and charred notes too. A fantastic Caol Ila!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt