House Lannister Lagavulin 9 Years Old (48%, OB, 2019)
- ABV: 48%
- Age: 9 Years Old
- Bottling: OB, Game of Thrones
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £65
- Origin: Lagavulin Distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Official tasting notes:
- The nose is characteristically Lagavulin with the sweet smoke exploding on the nose providing a little more zesty, Maritime brine than the other expressions. The palate opens with sweet, smokey caramelized banana, burnt marshmallow and Vanilla which subsides into a light dry menthol and salted caramel finish.
What I say
Representing House Lannister and the current residents on the Iron Throne is this new Lagavulin 9 Years Old expression. Following close on the heels of Lagavulin’s 2016, 200th anniversary release 8 year old expression with which I will be comparing this to.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright amber gold (10/20), quick medium tears and thin legs.
- Nose: Characteristic sweet and smoky, a little linseed oil, coal dust, some honey but this rocks between sweet and meaty, char siu with barley sugars
- Taste: Slightly more sugary on the palate than I was expecting, barley sugars, caramel, a dry peat smoke enters which thickens and darkens the palate, salted & smoked almonds, dark chocolate, cinnamon, peppermint and malt extract.
- Finish: Long, milk chocolate, coal dust, vanilla essence and chilli pepper.
Much more of a classic Lagavulin than I found the 8 Year Old anniversary edition. Sweet and meaty with a dusty smoke, a nice bitterness to it that presents as chocolate. I suspect the colour is e150 – confirmed by the packaging. Compared to the 8 Year Old I suspect a few more refill barrels or older barrels have gone into this mix to shift the flavour-profile in a very positive way more towards the distillery character. Quite moreish. I like this a lot more than I like Lannister’s – except Tyrion – I like this just as much as Tyrion.
Don’t take my word for it:
Meleklerin Payi reviews House Lannister Lagavulin 9 Year Old
The Daily Dram reviews Lagavulin 9 Game of Thrones
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Leave a Reply