Clynelish Distillery Exclusive Bottling (48%, OB, Bourbon Casks, 6000 Bottles, 2017)
- ABV: 48%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB, Distillery Exclusive
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £80
- Origin: Clynelish Distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
What I say
To complement the Game of Thrones House Tyrell Clynelish Reserve edition I just sampled I picked out this Distillery Only bottling, produced in 2017 and made from a vatting of ex-bourbon casks to produce 6,000 bottles. Previous distillery exclusives have been reputed to be standard 14 year old expression but presented at Cask strength – though I haven never seen an age statement on any. This unusual selection is delivered at 48% and made from ex-bourbon matured stock only.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Champagne gold (3/20), quick medium tears leave well-defined medium legs.
- Nose: Fresh and zesty, some citric lemon, salt-preserved lemon zest, fresh cut green apple and pear, a little honey, candle wax, floral gorse & white flower mixture.
- Taste: Similar to the nose, fresh and zesty lemons, honey and salt, apple, white grape, peppery and cinnamon spices, a touch of ginger or grated tamarind, lemon barley sugars and a light waxyness.
- Finish: Medium-long, sherbet orange and lemon, warming ginger and tamarind spices and light oak influence.
From the colour and flavours present I suspect a healthy amount of refill ex-bourbon casks went into this vatting, surprisingly it really doesn’t feel that youthful and could easily pass a comparison with the 14 year old. A little less waxy than I am used to from Clynelish, or perhaps it is the absence of flavours carried within it. A suspect this is a bit of a Clynelish purists whisky and I am maybe under-appreciating it. Flawless, but not really ticking my boxes regards flavour profile.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Categories: Single malt