Glen Scotia 18 Year Old
- Category: Campbeltown single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glen Scotia distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £86.50
What they say
AN EXCEPTIONAL SINGLE MALT WHISKY MATURED FROM SPECIALLY SELECTED CASKS THAT DELIVER THE TRUE CHARACTER OF A 18 YEAR OLD GLEN SCOTIA MALT WHISKY.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: The higher peat content gives a more sweet and smoky character
and a beautiful rounded finish.
- Palate: Rich deep vanilla fruit flavours, apricot and pineapple, plump sultana.
- Finish: Long and dry with gentle warming spice.
What I say
Sampled at the Livingston Whisky Club Glen Scotia Tasting hosted by Loch Lomond Malts Ambassador Ibon Mendiguren.
Next up we have the Glen Scotia 18 Year Old expression released in 2017. Made entirely from unpeated malt and also entirely made-up of stock produced under the new ownership commenced in August 1999. This has spent 17 years maturing in ex-bourbon hogsheads before the final year in ex-Oloroso sherry casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Burnished copper (12/20), medium tears and legs.
- Nose: Chocolate and vanilla, figs, dried fruit; raisin, coconut, banana bread with chocolate chips, poached apples, an enticingly sweet nose quite different from a classic Campbeltown.
- Taste: Medium bodied, sweet toffee, milk chocolate coated apples, light vanilla cream, oily, beeswax, salted caramel, peanut butter, raisin and charred oak wood.
- Finish: Long, waxy, chocolate-coated raisins.
Surprisingly light and creamy, this 18 year old expression is a polar opposite to the usual oily and dirty Campbeltown smoke. Delicious waxy/oily, coastal and sherried on an unpeated malt backbone.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review