Glengoyne 28 Year Old (46.8%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Highland single malt Scotch Whisky
- Origin: Glengoyne distillery
- Bottling: Ian Macleod, OB, Travel Retail Exclusive
- ABV: 46.8%
- Cost: £295
What they say
A dram with a heart of rich fruit and elegant spice. More than a quarter-century in the finest first-fill Oloroso sherry casks gives the Glengoyne 28 Year Old extraordinary depth and complexity, long into the finish.
From acorn to mature tree, the oak takes a lifetime to come of age. When the time comes, our Spanish coopers insist the wood is dried by the sun – never kilns. The oak is then shaped into staves and hooped into casks, before being filled with finest Oloroso sherry for up to three years.
Emptied of sherry, these casks come to rest here at Dumgoyne, to hold our spirit. Together, they will spend 28 long years in the cool darkness of our stone-built warehouses.
Our reward? A beautifully aged Highland single malt, with a dark mahogany hue and long, spicy finish.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose Complex and rich, with dark chocolate, marmalade, rosehip and warm spice
- Taste Beautifully aged, smooth and nutty. Spiced with dark cherry, cocoa and fresh berries
- Finish Long with dry sherry, coconut and warming spice
What I say
Bottled as part of Glengoyne’s Spirit of Oak range originally released to the Travel Retail market, this edition has been matured in ex-Oloroso sherry casks for a minimum of 28 years!
Thanks to Glengoyne for the official sample
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Old Amontillado (16/20), medium-fine tears and tapered legs.
- Nose: Tart dried raisins in an antique furniture shop, polished walnut wood, balsamic sherry vinegar, dark chocolate, cocoa powder, sweet vanilla brown toast with ginger and orange marmalade, rose and lemon hot chocolate.
- Taste: Black forest gateaux, sweet cherry, dark chocolate, vanilla cream, nutty and woody, walnut and brazil nuts, cocoa nibs, apricot, orange and blackcurrant jam on toasted cream scones
- Finish: Long, juicy dried fruits and spices, rich dark chocolate and black peabody coffee
A superbly aged and dark sherried palate to this whisky, full of robust nut, chocolate and coffee elements but still with that soft fruit spirit character underneath.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt