- Category: Highland single malt Scotch Whisky
- Origin: Glengoyne distillery
- Bottling: Ian Macleod, OB, Travel Retail Exclusive
- ABV: 43%
- Cost: £59.95
What they say
The rich depth of Balbaína is the result of careful maturation, with a heart of first-fill European oak sherry casks.
At the heart of Glengoyne Balbaína: hand-selected first fill sherry casks. We are not alone – for centuries, the winemakers of Balbaína have prized sherry wood above all others.
Our choice of European oak brings an intense and spicy character, the ideal partner for Glengoyne Balbaína as it matures in our stone-built warehouses at Dumgoyne.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose Warming, with spiced raisin, biscuit, maple syrup and cloves
- Taste Brown sugar with dried apple, toffee and sherry richness
- Finish Dry with soft oak, ground spice and citrus
What I say
Bottled as part of Glengoyne’s Spirit of Oak range originally released to the Travel Retail market, this Balbaína edition was matured in 1st Fill European Oak Sherry casks.
Thanks to Glengoyne for the official sample
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Chardonnay light copper (6/20), quick, loose/large tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose: Orange zest, sultana, spiced bread and butter pudding with cinnamon and clove, topped with creme anglais, sweet malted milk biscuits.
- Taste: Maple syrup, soft and sweet, honey, buttery toffee, dates, dried apple rings and raisins, more bread and butter pudding with caramel ice-cream.
- Finish: Long, lemon oil and hazelnut puree perhaps a touch of milk chocolate with caramel.
Compared to the Cuartillo, this Balbaína expression has a little more woody spice and nuttiness derived from the European oak casks, also presented at 43% has much more body too.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review