Glengoyne Cuartillo (40%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Highland single malt Scotch Whisky
- Origin: Glengoyne distillery
- Bottling: Ian Macleod, OB, Travel Retail Exclusive
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £54.95
What they say
Glengoyne Cuartillo is a fine Highland Single Malt Whisky with sweet fruitiness and a bright gold hue. And at its heart, hand-selected first fill Oloroso sherry casks, crafted from American oak.
Our American oak casks are amongst the finest available. Revered by the winemakers of Cuartillo and other ancient vineyards in southern Spain, American oak sherry casks have a soft, balanced character.
After years of careful maturation in our stone-built warehouses at Dumgoyne, we selected these American oak casks to become the heart of Glengoyne Cuartillo.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose Appetising and fresh, with vanilla sponge, soft toffee, saffron and sweet malt
- Taste Fruity, elegant, and creamy – with apricots and a hint of cinnamon.
- Finish A balance of gentle spice and sweet fruit.
What I say
Bottled as part of Glengoyne’s Spirit of Oak range originally released to the Travel Retail market, this Cuartillo has been matured in 1st fill American Oak Oloroso sherry casks.
Thanks to Glengoyne for the official sample
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Soave gold (4/20), numerous, oily, medium-fine tears and fine legs.
- Nose: Fresh and baked apples, sweetened with honey, caramel toffee sauce, vanilla custard slice pastry, some citron fruit.
- Taste: Gentle fruit; apple, peach, apricot, a hint of sweetened lemon & lime juices with honey, more custard slices a little citrus orange zest and mild woody spice emerges with hints of tobacco leaf.
- Finish: Long, wood-spiced, light oil, ginger and orange zest.
A light and fruity expression similar in many ways to Glengoyne’s spirit character, soft and gentle on the palate but with hints of the rich and spicy Oloroso casks also.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt