Aberfeldy 1993 Connoisseurs Choice Cask Strength
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Aberfeldy distillery
- Bottling: Gordon & macPhail, Connoisseurs Choice 2018, Cask Strength
- ABV: 58.8%
- Cost: £170
What they say
- DISTILLERY Aberfeldy
- REGION Highland
- DISTILLED Sunday, 6 June 1993
- BOTTLED Thursday, June 21, 2018
- ABV 58.8%
- YEARS OLD 25
- CASK NO. 4054
- CASK TYPE First fill Sherry puncheon
- OUTTURN 444 bottles
- BATCH 18/031
Official tasting notes:
- Aroma Sweetened dark hot chocolate aromas combine with cacao nibs and fresh vanilla pods. Autumnal blackberries and blackcurrants complement Seville orange and rich Sherry notes.
- Taste Full-bodied and creamy; flavours of crushed peppercorns mingle with cinnamon spice. Nuances of cassis and Morello cherries are accentuated by hints of leather, tobacco, and salted chocolate.
- Finish The rich palate unwinds into lingering liquorice and charred oak.
What I say
Celebrating 50 years of Connoisseurs Choice with Gordon & MacPhail.
Recent updating of our distillery profiles made me realise I have never posted a review of an Independently bottled Aberfeldy. There are more glaring omissions such as never reviewing and officially bottled Glen Grant but these will be corrected as soon as possible. However, I digress, as I started alphabetically Aberfeldy cam up first on my radar and low and behold her I was sat with a wonderfully deep coloured Aberfeldy from Gordon & MacPhail bottled as part of their new Connoisseurs Choice range at cask strength.
Distilled at Aberfeldy distillery in 1993 and matured for 25 years in a 1st fill Sherry Puncheon #4054, producing 444 bottles at 58.8% ABV at outturn.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark golden bronze (13/20), numerous fine tears with ultra-fine legs.
- Nose: Golden syrup and heather honey, sherried fruits, raisins, bramble, forest fruits jam, dried orange peel, banana bread, green and leafy with vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, plenty of dark chocolate and some leather.
- Taste: Rich and zesty, dried orange peel, dried fig jam, bramble jam, spiced heather honey, cinnamon,m dry leather, cayenne pepper, clove oil and black pepper infused dark chocolate.
- Finish: Long, savoury oak wood, tannins and dried fruit.
A beautifully sherried Aberfeldy, dry and leathery with plenty of dark fruits and chocolate, with water this opens up a lot more and just gets better.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review