Laphroaig 10 Years Old (40%, OB, 2014)
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Laphroaig distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £36
What they say
Our 10 Year Old is the original Laphroaig, distilled the same way today as when Ian Hunter invented it more than 75 years ago. It is the foundation of all other Laphroaig expressions.
In making Laphroaig, malted barley is dried over a peat fire. The smoke from this peat, found only on Islay, gives Laphroaig its particularly rich flavour.
Those enjoying the 10 Year Old will first notice the bold, smoky taste, followed by a hint of seaweed and a surprising sweetness. This full-bodied variant is the foundation of all Laphroaig expressions and comes with a long finish.
Official tasting notes:
- COLOUR Full sparkling gold
- NOSE Huge smoke, seaweedy, “medicinal”, with a hint of sweetness.
- BODY Full bodied.
- PALATE Surprising sweetness with hints of salt and layers of peatiness.
- FINISH Lingering.
What I say
The classic 10 Year Old Laphroaig, I must have gone trhough several bottles of this over the years but never quite managed to collate tasting notes. In fact the last bottle finished before this blog started and the last bottle I received as a house-warming gift in 2012 is still prized yet unopened within my collection. This sample was from a 5cl miniature purchased during our visit to Laphroaig distillery in 2014. Prt of our #Back2Basics sampling this is a core expression well-deserved of a place amongst my reviews.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full caramel-added amber gold (10/20), large, loose legs, and rounded, medium-large tears.
- Nose: Medicinal and sweet, brine, phenolic, germolene but also a touch of Iodine and wintergreen oil too, salty/briny sea spray, like a pleasant(!) hospital waiting area, pine disinfectant and a hint of creosote and nuts.
- Taste: Full-bodied, sweet, fresh sugared donuts or gulab jamun, gentle cereals carry the more Accident & Emergency overtones of antiseptics and sweet phenol, salted light caramel, or caramac bar, vanilla milkshake and cardamom kulfi.
- Finish: Long, sweet vanilla and peaty smoke, pine disinfectant and smoked sea salt.
A simply classic expression from Laphroaig, sweeter and milkier than my memory serves. I always remember the smoke and creosote from this dram although I’ll not be tasting that until tomorrow! I can’t believe it has taken me this long to sit down and collect notes from this. After quite a break from drinking this regularly it has been a pleasure to return and remind myself what great quality Laphroaig has even in their most basic expression.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt