Kavalan Classic Single Malt (40%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Taiwanese single malt whisky
- Origin: Kavalan distillery
- Bottling: OB
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £60
What they say
Kavalan Classic Single Malt Whisky exemplifies the sheer quality of whisky currently coming out of Taiwan. The skills of Master Blender Ian Chang work with the humid Taiwanese climate to create whisky that is diverse and complex. Fresh and clean, the spirit is rich with silky smoothness and hints of tropical fruits, mango in particular.
Official tasting notes:
- Color: Lively and passionate amber
- Nose: Clean, elegant, floral (pleasant & refreshing fragrance of the butterfly orchid), fruity and seductive. With hints of honey, tropical fruits (mango in particular), pear drop, vanilla, coconuts and suggestions of chocolate.
- Palate: A hint of sweet mango juice with that spicy complexity and gentle warmth on a medium, oily and citrus finish.
What I say
Sampled during the 2018 #WhiskyAdvent tweet tasting with @TheWhiskyWire and Drinks By The Dram.
The basic Single Malt whisky expression from Kavalan, matured in ex-Bourbon casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright yellow gold (8/20), medium tears and defined, medium legs.
- Nose: Fruity, peach, apple, pear, apricot, sugary and sweet vanilla, a little perfumed malt then wood, malted barley flour, quite gristy persists, mealy.
- Taste: Quite light and silky on the palate, buttered toffee apples, malted barley, mixed fruit medley including fresh pear, apple and mango, woody oak, vanilla, wood spices, cinnamon? and butterscotch.
- Finish: Short, toffee then mixed fresh fruit peels.
Very pleasant but rather light in places, fades as an experience, i.e. nose>palate>finish, still a great base whisky with which Kavalan have done wonders with.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review