Brenne Cuvee Speciale
- Category: French single malt whisky
- Origin: Brenne distillery
- Bottling: Brenne, OB
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £55.95
What they say
- SEED TO SPIRIT Brenne Whisky starts in the earth. We distill 2 types of heirloom barley varietals that are grown organically in the fields surrounding our distillery.
- AGED IN FRENCH OAK & COGNAC BARRELS Brenne Whisky is aged in both new French Limousin oak barrels and Cognac casks, giving it a big bouquet of fruit, pastry and vanilla cream notes that set it apart from other Single Malt whiskies.
- COGNAC DISTILLING TECHNIQUE Using a Cognac yeast strain for the fermentation and small batch production, Brenne Whisky is twice distilled in copper alembic stills for an incredibly smooth finish.
- NO AGE STATEMENT Because Brenne Estate Cask is aged in Cognac Barrels, the aging for each of those barrels differs as it depends on how long the Cognac was in the barrel before. On average, the whisky ages for a total of about 7 years.
- Bottled at 40% abv (80 proof)
What I say
Sampled during the 2018 #WhiskyAdvent tweet tasting with @TheWhiskyWire and Drinks By The Dram.
A rather unusual single malt whisky hailing from the Cognac region of France.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Antique gold (7/20), large tears and large, loose legs.
- Nose: Herbal & leafy, sweet, fragrant, vanilla, rose, Turkish delight, bubblegum, candyfloss and fresh apples.
- Taste: Rose jelly, Turkish delight, rose & vanilla white chocolate, bubblegum (those old style coloured bubblegum balls)
- Finish: Short, a little tannic & spirity, like over-chewed bubblegum.
I quite like this one, something very different from classic Scotch single malts. Definitely on the sweeter side and very perfumed, but I couldn’t get over my love of classic bubblegums which this reminded me of, and also cinnamon schnapps (which I’d rather not be reminded of!) something in the spirit quality maybe? Overall quite a different experience.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review