Highland Park 14 Years Old Loyalty Of The Wolf
- Category: Island single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Highland Park distillery
- Bottling: Edrington, OB, Travel Retail
- ABV: 42.3%
- Cost: £57 (1L)
What they say
Our Viking ancestors felt great affinity with the natural instincts of the wild wolf – a loyal and co-operative member of a tightly-knit pack, yet also a fearless and determined hunter.
Both wolf and Viking share the strong instinct to protect and defend family and territory, responding boldly and courageously when faced with threat or danger. Our island home on Orkney was under Viking rule for over 600 years and we are proud of the characteristics we share with our ancestors.
With 14 YEAR OLD LOYALTY OF THE WOLF we celebrate determination, co-operation and courage in a single malt whisky that is both sweet and complex, displaying a fine balance of contrasts, just like the Vikings – and the wolves – themselves.
Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Volsunga Saga, Chapter 19
Official tasting notes:
- Light burnished gold (average colour tint 12.5)
- Vanilla sponge cake | Baked apples | Cinnamon | Light smoky peat
What I say
Thanks to Tom at Toms Whisky Reviews for sharing a sample.
Another Travel Retail expression, this time carrying the age statement 14 years old, matured in a combination of sherry seasoned American Oak casks and ex-bourbon casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark amber gold (11/20), slow, large tears and fat legs.
- Nose: Buttery and nutty, shea butter or almond milk, softened fruits, pear, apple, honey, barley malt, flapjacks, plenty of ketones & esters, candy floss.
- Taste: Gently spiced fruits, apple & pear poached in honey and baking spices, cinnamon, ginger and vanilla, almonds, salted and roasted flaked almonds.
- Finish: Medium, sour/bitter, nutty, salt and gentle smoke.
Definitely sweeter than the Spirit Of The Bear expression this is sweet & buttery on the nose but becomes increasingly sour and bitter by the finish.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review