Ledaig 19 Years Old 1998 Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish
- Category: Island single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Tobermory distillery
- Bottling: Distell, OB, Limited Edition 2018
- ABV: 46.3%
- Cost: £130
What they say
Distilled in 1998 this Ledaig expression has been matured for 19 years and finished in Oloroso sherry casks, 2,400 bottles produced at 46.3% ABV.
Official tasting notes:
- Full of dried fruit and sweet oak notes
What I say
Thanks to Distell for providing samples of their 2018 Limited Edition releases.
Distilled at Tobermory distillery from peated malt, this Ledaig has matured in ex-Bourbon casks for around 6 years before being finished for nearly 14 years in ex-Oloroso sherry casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Golden amber (8/20), regular, medium tears and medium legs.
- Nose: Smoke and very sweet, with hints of butryic (baby sick), fresh lemon and orange citrus, funky and boggy, damp wood, nutty with marzipan and almonds, not good.
- Taste: Medium-light bodied with a mixture of lemon and orange citrus fruit peel with herbal spices, liqourice, clove, aniseed, toffee, oak wood, smoked meat, chocolate and coffee grounds, treacle toffee, parkin cake.
- Finish:Long, drying, dried fruit, raisin, ashy smoke & bitter dark chocolate.
Fruity and smoky but for me a little too light in places, hardly any barley malt and much too fine/light a spirit for these flavours, needs more oils, also some funk on the nose which may not be to everyone’s liking.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review