Grant’s Rum Cask Finish (40%, OB, 2018)
- Category: Blended Scotch whisky
- Origin: ?
- Bottling: William Grant & Sons
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £19
What they say
Along with his team, our Master Blender, Brian Kinsman, wanted to see what would happen if we combined our traditional Scotch whisky blend with exotic flavours from the Caribbean. After many years ageing in oak barrels, our whisky is further matured in Caribbean rum casks for a smooth, rich and sweet taste.
Official tasting notes:
- NOSE Rich maltiness and tropical fruit
- TASTE Vibrant and sweet with tropical fruits and a hint of banana reveal rich vanilla oak and a touch of sweet spice
- FINISH Long-lasting and sweet
What I say
Sampled during the #GrantsWhisky tweet tasting held on 12th September 2018 with Grant’s Whisky and @TheWhiskyWire
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amber gold (10/20), Medium-large oily tears and finer legs
- Nose: A little sweeter and thicker on the nose, now getting golden syrup and brown sugar, still a refreshing vanilla aroma, and buttery cereals arrive later with highland toffee, more tropical fruits and a hint of coffee.
- Taste: Oily and a little closed on the palate, golden syrup and crystallized brown sugar, buttery popcorn, crunchy nut cornflakes, banana & peach yoghurt.
- Finish: Medium-short, softened sugar, fruits, oak wood
A little sweeter than the Triple Wood. My fear was I really haven’t been enjoying Rum-cask finished whiskies of late, but this one is a slight improvement over the entry-level blend. Perhaps it has polished that grain whisky edge off a little?
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review