GlenDronach Cask Strength Batch 7
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Glendronach distillery
- Bottling: Brown-Forman, OB
- ABV: 57.9%
- Cost: £56.95
What they say
Like all previous Cask Strength batches from The GlenDronach, this expression continues our tradition of marrying the finest Spanish sherry casks from Andalucía; Oloroso and Pedro Ximenez . The Oloroso contributes to the fruity and elegant nature of The GlenDronach, with notes of dark bramble fruits and gentle spices. Pedro Ximenez contributes the robust and full-bodied richness of The GlenDronach, often characterised by notes of dark chocolate and stewed fruits. With each Cask Strength release, our Master Blender selects the ideal marriage of these two casks before bottling without chill filtration, at high strength and naturally deep in colour, as was the custom before the turn of the 20th century. Add a drop or two of water to reveal a cornucopia of flavour – from wild figs and brambles to baked apple and damson plum.
The GlenDronach Cask Strength Batch 7 is rich in the rewards of slow, mellow and complex sherry cask maturation in the earthen-floored dunnage warehouses at GlenDronach; the rewards being a sublime aroma, rounded taste, full body and long-lasting finish. With a cask selection spanning Summer, Autumn and Winter distillation at GlenDronach, the resulting marriage delivers a malt with a strong heart, complex taste and smooth mellow maturity, belying it’s 57.9% cask strength.
The GlenDronach Cask Strength Batch 7 continues our tradition of marrying the finest Spanish oak sherry casks with our robust Highland malt. In this expression, maturation in Oloroso casks has developed a smooth, nutty and rounded character, with notes of Highland toffee, walnut cream, sultana bread and figs. Maturation in Pedro Ximénez casks has contributed plum, cherry and chocolate. Batch 7 offers a unique opportunity to get to know the richly sherried yet smooth and mellow side of GlenDronach cask maturation at natural cask strength. – Master Blender Rachel Barrie
Official tasting notes:
- APPEARANCE Deep bronze
- NOSE Cherry brandy and chocolate with blackberry vines, wild figs and Highland Toffee.
- PALATE Burst of brambles and ripe sultanas give way to Seville orange and roasted chestnut. Finish of baked apple and damson plum linger with chocolate walnut and whipped cream.
What I say
The latest Cask Strength expression from GlenDronach, #7 comes in at a hearty 57.9%
It is always a joy to sample GlenDronach nowadays, having firmly wrestled the Sherry-crown from Macallan over the last few years, GlenDronach seems much more affordable though almost as difficult to get hold of as the large fan base snap up the single cask releases as soon as they hit the shelves. Thankfully the core range and other limited editions such as this Cask Strength expression are readily available and highlight the standard of quality of their output.
Thanks to The GlenDronach Distillery & SpeyPR for the sample.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright copper and Amontillado (10/20), numerous medium-fine beads leave fine, long legs.
- Nose: Spiced gingerbread, also sweet and estery like baked banana bread, something a little funky like yeasty dough and fresh leather, baking spices, cinnamon, ginger, peach cobbler, a hint of polished wood about this one too, later, after breathing, toffifee, milk chocolate and butterscotch.
- Taste: Ripe and earthy blackberries, elderberry, a little polished, popcorn-like sweetness, toffee-coated, damson and fig jam, milk chocolate buttons, nutella and brandy-soaked cherries.
- Finish: Long, sharp (but not acidic) and fruity, the dark woodland berries still carry a slight earthiness, fruity dark chocolate.
Surprisingly light in colour or full in flavour, I can’t really decide which. This is packed with sharp and earthy berry fruits, a real hedgerow of foraged fruit flavours, backed by dark chocolate, toffee and nut. Perhaps just missing a little of the oak wood the GlenDronach single cask series display so well. Another excellent GlenDronach and this one is very affordable and readily available too!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review