Blair Athol 20 Years Old 1997 Connoisseurs Choice (54.5%, Gordon & MacPhail, Refill HH #5720, 255 Bottles, 2018)
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Blair Athol distillery
- Bottling: Gordon & MacPhail, Connoisseurs Choice
- ABV: 54.5%
- Cost: £135.95
What they say
Blair Athol 20 Years Old 1997 Connoisseurs Choice Batch 18/010 (pdf)
Official tasting notes:
- Aroma: Charming and fruity: pressed apple and fresh squeezed lime infuse with banana, dried apricot, and subtle pineapple; hints of vanilla, elderflower, and cocoa powder remain.
- Taste: Creamy, sweet ripe melon, nectarine, and banana abound. Red apple emerges and transforms into milk chocolate subtly highlighted by hints of oak.
- Finish: Long and intricate with bursts of pepper and mature oak.
What I say
The second in our trio of Gordon & MacPhail’s Connoisseurs Choice 2018 Batch 1 samples hails from Blair Athol distillery.
Somewhere I am a lot more familiar with, having visited on numerous occasions thanks to its reasonably nearby location in Pitlochry.
I am much more familiar with official Blair Athol expressions that usually have a rather healthy sherry-matured influence, so this refill American hogshead single cask should reveal much more distillery character. When this was distilled in August 1997 I was probably celebrating my exam results and acceptance onto my Neuroscience Honours (4th) Year of my undergraduate degree at the University of Edinburgh. A summer of wild celebration!
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark gold (11/20), very slow, fine beads and fine legs.
- Nose: Fruity, a mixture of tangerine, orange, lemon and sun-dried golden raisin, a hint of pineapple, juicy and sticky, almost bbq sauce-esque, their are cleaner and crisper new oak or sandalwood woody aromas, fresh and slightly floral, nutty almond or hazelnut, reminds me of plum sauce/Cantonese dish.
- Taste: Juicy spiced fruits, plums, raisins, fresh lemon and orange juice, apple, apricot, candied peel, ginger spice, red fruits/red apples, barley sugar sweetness, pineapple fritters and hints of star anise or five spice powder.
- Finish: Medium, fruity, warming, mouth-watering and juicy with a touch of citrus freshness that cleanses the palate.
A juicy, sweet and fruity expression with touches of citrus and exotic spices, mouth watering.
Shop for Blair Athol 20 Year Old 1997 Connoisseurs Choice (opens Master of Malt)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Blair Athol, Highland
Leave a Reply