Bunnahabhain 12 Years Old 2005 10.141 Indulgence by the sea (59.5%, SMWS, Refill Bourbon Barrel, 174 Bottles, 2018)
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Bunnahabhain distillery
- Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- ABV: 59.5%
- Cost: £Sold out
What they say
Cask No. 10.141: Indulgence by the sea. A 12-year-old from the Oily & Coastal flavour profile, bottled at 59.5% abv. (UK and EU bottling)
Official tasting notes:
We were transported to one of the islands in the Southern Hebrides walking hand in hand on a white sandy beach and, as the sun set, sharing a sweet kiss – heaven! Back to reality, we were on that beach but a strong wind blew the salty sea air in our faces mingled with aromas of driftwood and old lobster creels. Robust on the palate, mainly salty with a touch of sweetness and with our mind running wild we imagined being kissed by a mermaid. After adding water the aroma is that of charred driftwood, Chinese-style seaweed and in the finish baked crispy honey lime shrimps.
What I say
From the SMWS May outturn focused on the upcoming Feis Ile 2018 festival
A 12 year old Bunnahabhain expression matured in a refill ex-Bourbon barrel.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full gold (9/20), fine tears and legs
- Nose: Sweet, toffee, fruity; apple, pear, melon, orange, lime, oak wood, sea spray, cloyingly sweet like a fruit conserve or reduction has a slightly tropical edge to it or a little like waxed fruit.
- Taste: Warming, lemon and orange biscuits freshly baked and just out of the oven, cookie dough, fresh lemon and lime, but also very sweet like lime curd or a lemon tart (again fresh baked/still warm from the oven), salt and a little sour, oak wood influence adds a little spice.
- Finish: Long, sweet, lemon ice cream, cardamom spice and sherbet dib-dabs.
Sweet, fruity and spicy, fizzy and a little waxy, quite an unusual cask this one with plenty of bite. With a mix of salt and sweet this reminded me a lot cookie dough.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt