Laphroaig 8 Years Old 2009 29.244 Weaving wondrous dreams (62.2%, SMWS, Refill Bourbon Barrel, 222 bottles, 2018)
- Category: Islay single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Laphroaig distillery
- Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society
- ABV: 62.2%
- Cost: £available at Feis Ile 2018
What they say
For those fortunate enough to be travelling to the Islay Festival of Music and Malt, the SMWS will be releasing 29.244: Weaving wondrous dreams. To reward members who have made the journey to attend the Islay festival, this limited edition will only be available for existing and new members to purchase on the island.
The bottling is an 8-year-old peated whisky from a refill ex-bourbon barrel. With only 222 bottles available to members, this will be a very limited edition and sought-after bottle
Official tasting notes:
The palate is described as intense – with an earthy sweetness (chocolate brownies, flying saucers, aniseed, liquorice root) and smoke-derived flavours of tar, iodine and coal. The SMWS Tasting Panel said, ‘the long-lasting medicinal smoke will waft and weave into wondrous dreams.’
What I say
Bottled for Feis Ile 2018 the Islay festival of music and malt by the Scotch Malt Whisky Society.
It appears everyone is getting in on the Feis Ile bandwagon these days and releasing festival-only bottlings. To be fair SMWS have been doing these for some time and they are releasing this one only at the events being held on Islay during the festival itself.
This was distilled at Laphroaig in 2009 and matured for 8 years in a refill bourbon barrel.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Pale champagne gold (3/20), Long, fine teardrops leave numerous long legs
- Nose: Flame-grilled frazzles, baconated grapefruit, TCP, iodine, detol, sun-kissed skin, cereal malt, smoky bacon flavouring, quite a medicinal nose with a touch of salt.
- Taste: Creamy, warming, malty, TCP, germolene, wintergreen, menthol, full-bodied with lots of cream toffees like Werthers Originals and caramel.
- Finish: Medium-long, sweet and salt, gentle spices, smoked meat and smouldering embers
A deliciously smooth and malty dram from Laphroaig with their characteristic medicinal peaty nose and malty body.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Single malt