Auchroisk 17 Years Old 1996 Treasurer’s Selection (49.8%, Robert Graham, Cask #1977, 252 Bottles, 2016)
- Category: Speyside single malt Scotch whisky
- Origin: Auchroisk Distillery
- Bottling: Robert Graham, Treasurer’s Selection
- ABV: 49.8%
- Cost: £125
What they say
Age: 17 year old
Bottled: November 2013
Cask number: 1977
Limited to 252 bottles
UnChill-Filtered Treasurer Selection
A cask-strength offering of 252 bottles from our exclusive Treasurer’s Selection range. Toffee caramel and shortbread biscuits with raisins on the nose, with a touch of gooseberry after a while breathing in the glass; the palate is buttery, thick and extraordinarily soft considering its ABV. There is the creamy butterscotch of Werther’s Originals, a little almond paste, and a smooth resolution into toffee on the finish. Mercifully rescued from blending stocks for a much-deserved presentation as a single malt.
What I say
Following on from sampling the 6 year old 2009 Auchroisk, which gave us a good sample of distillate/spirit character before we moved on to this slightly older Treasurer’s Selection bottling from Robert Graham.
Distilled in 1996 and matured for 17 years, presented at 49.8% ABV.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Champagne gold (4/20), medium tears and legs
- Nose: A hint of metallic copper again on the nose but then full into fruity and zesty nectarines, peach, apricot and grapefruits, old oak wood and a vanilla custard precede toffee and caramel sauce, much more rounded than the younger dram we tried previously
- Taste: On the palate, more stone and citrus fruits combine, pink grapefruit zest and pith, peach and apricot jam, gooseberry fool, biscuit malt, still a faint hint of metallic copper and some minerality, rich/highland toffee, oily and buttery on the palate, marzipan and light leathery tannins with a touch of putty/linseed oil
- Finish: Medium-long, zest, fruit and wood combine
A much more rounded and rewarding dram though with a remarkably similar base taste profile.
My experience of Auchroisk is limited but the output appears to be well imprinted with distillery character with quite an unusual fruitiness to it.
Shop for Auchroisk 17 Years Old Treasurer’s Selection (opens Robert Graham)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Leave a Reply