anCnoc 12 Years Old
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origin: Knockdhu distillery
- Bottling: Inver House
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £30.95
What they say:
The anCnoc 12 year old is renowned the world over. Known as a must-have in any whisky drinker’s collection, it’s light and yet complex. Smooth yet challenging. And each twist and turn delivers a surprise. In fact, this is a dram that has something for everyone.
Official tasting notes:
- Colour: Gentle amber with a slight yellow hue.
- Nose: Soft, very aromatic with a hint of honey and lemon in the foreground.
- Taste: Sweet to start with an appetising fruitiness and a long smooth finish. Light yet complex, smooth yet challenging. This is a dram that has something for everyone.
What I say
Another sample of the anCnoc 12 Years Old, provided with the anCnoc #LightonDark tweet tasting on 23rd November 2017 alongside the new Peatheart expression.
The standard 12 Year Old expression from Knockdhu Distillery, bottled under the anCnoc brand
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Sauternes amber gold (8/20), medium-fine tears, fine legs
- Nose: Honey and pears initially, with some apples and orchard blossom too, heather honey, vanilla cream and a little biscuity malt follow, a lot more fragrant and floral and with a sticky sweetness, cereal barley malt remains
- Taste: Well rounded, a touch of citrus like lemon meringue or key lime pie add a sour note to that honeyed sweetness, apple pie, custard cream biscuits, lemon juice, a touch more bitter perhaps liqourice
- Finish: Medium length, gentle, fruity honey, citrus fruits hints of zest, a little waxy and sour
Still a great all-round whisky that introduces you to anCnoc’s range, a lovely mid-weight floral, barley and honeyed fruit, in places more floral, sour and bitter slightly than we last remembered.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review