Blended Grain #1 50 Year Old Batch 1 (46.9%, That Boutique-Y Whisky Company, 2018)
- Category: Blended grain scotch whisky
- Origin: ?
- Bottling: That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- ABV: 46.9%
- Cost: £coming soon
What they say
Blended grain scotch whisky, distilled at 2 or more grain distilleries in Scotland over 50 years ago!
What I say
Sampled as part of the #TBWCAdvent Twitter tasting just before Christmas
A blended grain whisky in which all components have been matured for a minimum of 50 years.
Batch 2 bottled at 46.9% due for release early 2018
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Full gold (9/20)
- Nose: Candy corn, polished beech wood, sweet honey, vanilla, toasted wholegrain bread, hazelnut puree – beautiful, with time fresh coconut and dessicated sweetened coconut, candyfloss, coconut marshmallows
- Taste: Sweet, medium-bodied, coconut milk, coconut marshmallows or coconut mushrooms, some toasty oak, beeswax, hazelnut puree, honey, butterscotch, vanilla, tropical fruits; banana, pineapple, kiwi, orange oil, green oak wood and a touch of star anise
- Finish: Long, drying and sweet, polished hard toffee, oak juice
From memory this is only the second blended grain whisky we have sampled (the first being Compass Box’s Hedonism) and what a particularly great example it is. At a young 50 years old! This displayed everything that is wonderful about old grain whisky, the sweetness from the Maize & possibly other cereals and what tastes like ex-bourbon American oak maturation have generated a coconut and tropical fruit bomb (or monster?)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review