Elijah Craig Small Batch Bourbon (47%, OB, 2017)
- Category: Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Origin: Heaven Hill Distillery
- Bottling: Heaven Hill
- ABV: 47%
- Cost: £36.83
What They Say
The signature Bourbon bearing the name of Rev. Elijah Craig, a Bourbon pioneer who is credited with being the first distiller to age his whiskey in charred oak barrels.
Long before the term Small Batch even existed, our Master Distillers were hand-selecting just the right number of barrels to make Elijah Craig. This expertise and attention to detail give Elijah Craig Small Batch the right balance of rich flavor and full body. Each small batch carries a signature warm spice and subtle smoke flavor. A combination that belongs in any Bourbon fan’s regular rotation.
Official tasting notes:
- Color: Burnished copper
- Nose: Delightfully complex with notes of vanilla bean, sweet fruit, and fresh mint
- Taste: Smooth and warm; pleasantly woody with accents of spice, smoke, and nutmeg
- Finish: Long, sweet, and slightly toasty
What I Say
The replacement for the previous much-loved Elijah Craig 12 Years Old Small Batch Bourbon. Reportedly due to pressures on stock the 12 years old age statement was dropped, also the mention that a maximum 100 barrels per batch also?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Copper bronze (12/20) medium-large tears leave thick legs
- Nose: Sweet, vanilla-rich, vanilla seed pod, caramel, some fruits, stewed apples, lemon citrus fruit and mint leaf
- Taste: Light & sweet, caramel or runny honey, vanilla, spiced cinnamon, nutmeg and white pepper, sweet corn grains, syrupy in texture with woody oak that becomes a little ascerbic and spirity
- Finish: Medium, drying oak wood, pepper spice and polished highland toffee
Oddly we sampled this completely independently of the 12 year stock bottle that we are still nursing at home and came away much less impressed. I’m not sure how much batch variation there is but the previous bottling had much more depth and complexity and evidence of well-aged Bourbon present.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review