Lemorton 5 ans Réserve Vieux Calvados Domfrontais (40%, OB, 2016)
- Category: Calvados Domfrontais
- Origin: Didier Lemorton
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: €29 from Calvados Didier Lemorton
What they say
The characteristic flavours when tasting :
- A fine freshness with « starburst » flavours to start.
- And after taste both lively and dry, followed by hints of spices, caramelised vanilla, honey and hazel nuts
- After swallowing, we can notice a lingering and intensity of the various flavours.
What I say
Produced by Lemorton as the entry-level expression Calvados Domfrontais, the Réserve is made from the characteristic 70% pear and 30% apple fruit. Fermented for a minimum of 11 months into cider and distilled to 70% abv using column stills. Although it carries no age statement this Calvados is matured for a minimum of 5 years in French oak casks before they are selected and blended into this Réserve expression to represent the characteristic flavour profile of Lemorton Calvados Domfrontais. Equivalent perhaps to most ‘VSOP’ or 4+ year old expressions from other producers.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light copper gold (6/20).
- Nose: Fresh and light with plenty of orchard fruit and floral blossom aromas, apple and pear, pear drops.
- Taste: Fruity on the palate, fresh apple and pear fruits, apple and pear blossom and a little more floral honeysuckle, light/clear and runny honey sweetness, light caramel sauce & vanilla custard.
- Finish: Medium-short, sweet and fruity.
A delicious introduction to Lemorton Calvados Domfrontais, Lemorton Réserve presents full & ripe orchard fruits from the spirit character it is made from, with the oak ageing taming this and adding a little hint of caramelised sugar and vanilla.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review