Château du Breuil Fine Calvados (40%, OB, 2016)
- Category: Calvados Pays d’Auge
- Origin: Château du Breuil
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £23.69 buy from Master of Malt
What they say:
Classified as a historic monument, the Château du Breuil proudly stands among its park with centenarial trees. Built in the 16th and 17th centuries, the Château was the dwelling of the great families, as the Bouquetot, the Montgomery, the Bence…
Today, the “Château du Breuil” is also one of most prestigious Calvados distilleries (created in 1954). It offers to its visitors guided tours as well as tastings of very old Calvados, every day of the year.
Two years of an aging in oaks casks give a gold colour to the fruity taste of its youth. Vigorous and fresh on the palate, it’s a product carrying the “Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée Pays d’Auge”. All the fragrances of Normandy !
What I say:
An entry level Fine or 2 year old Calvados from the famed Château du Breuil Calvados distillery. Manufactured under the more restrictive AOC calvados Pays d’Auge area is limited to the east end of the département of Calvados and a few adjoining districts.
- Extensive quality control, the basic rules for AOC calvados together with several additional requirements, is practiced.
- Aging for a minimum of two years in oak barrels is required.
- Double distillation in an alembic pot-still is used.
- It must be produced within the designated area in Pays d’Auge.
- A minimum of six weeks of fermentation of the cider is required.
- Flavour elements are controlled.
Light champagne gold (3/20), medium-large tears and legs which resolve to fine
Fresh apples, juicy and sweet, hints of cider fermentation, yeasty, farmyard, sweet apple jelly. honey, apple pie served with honeycomb ice cream.
Light-bodied but medium flavoured with fruit, apples, pears, banana, juicy fruit chewing gum, full of those ripe/fresh fruit ester and ketones, fresh fruit drizzled in honey, a touch of green grass as well as dried hay, some woody oak again a little green which lends a nice putty or play-dough quality like sweet linseed oil.
Medium-short, honeyed apples and apricots
Delicious fresh and sweet fruit, full of honeyed apples. Direct and not too complex as expected of its youth but beautifully drinkable. A little touch of fermentation flavours too makes this a great introductory Calvados.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review