Calvados Review: Calvados Hamard Vieille Reserve Lot 2008
- Category: Calvados Domfrontais
- Origin: Thierry Et Laurent HAMARD, La Sébaudière – 61330 Ceauce
- Bottling: Official
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: €?
What they say
In organic agriculture for nearly 20 years, Thierry and Laurent will welcome you to Sebaudiere, where you can find and enjoy the range of cider products of old orchards.
We sell : farm peary, cider, Calvados Domfrontais AOC, apple aperitif, pear aperitif, apple juice, pear juice.
What I say
Received as a gift, this 20cl bottle was purchased directly from the farm shop at Thierry Et Laurent HAMARD, La Sébaudière – 61330 Ceauce. Details on the label: Calvados Domfrontais (i.e. contains at least 30% pear as well as apple) , vieille reserve (old reserve) notifying this has spent a minimum of 4 years ageing in oak barrels. I was making an assumption that the Lot2008 may refer to a year of distillation, and this was purchased in late 2016 – so it may be significantly over 4 years?
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Copper amber (14/20) medium-large droplets, medium legs
- Nose: Fruity and sweet, high/pure sweetness of icing sugar, ripe pears and overripe bananas, slightly estery, honey, runny or clarified? grassy hay, a hint of spice and herbs, very fresh orchard fruits
- Taste: Fresh apple and pear, honeyed, poached or stewed pears, caramel sauce, slightly bitter/tannic oak wood presents as latte coffee, then spicy cinnamon and black pepper
- Finish: Medium, sweet pear fruit, grassy hay, fades to a light cinnamon spice
Remarkably drinkable this has a very sweet and light nature to it backed with just a touch of woody oak sugars and spices
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review