Tullamore D.E.W. 12 Years Old Special Reserve
- Category: Irish blended whiskey
- Origin: Midleton Distillery
- Bottling: William Grant & Sons
- ABV: 40%
- Cost: £54.83
What they say
Our 12 Year Old Special Reserve is a carefully crafted blend of old Irish whiskeys. They say with age comes wisdom, or in this case, complexity, character and maturity – one of the reasons why this truly unique whiskey has been awarded plaudits in abundance from whiskey connoisseurs around the world.
Like Tullamore D.E.W. Original, Tullamore D.E.W. 12yo Special Reserve is a triple distilled blend of all three types of Irish whiskey. However, it has a high proportion of pot still and malt whiskeys, matured in a combination of bourbon and sherry casks, for 12 to 15 years. A very fine aged whiskey with great complexity.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Early spice followed by red wine while a nice nuttiness follows before a light woody note brought on from 12 years spent in oak casks.
- Taste: A deep spice flavour with a robust yet creamy body cloaked in a definite chocolaty note. Dried fruits and nut accompany the chocolate, giving a verticable praline note in the taste.
- Finish: The finish is long and rich with some citrus, chocolate, raisins and marzipan all lingering.
What I say
Sampled during the #TullamoreDEW tweet tasting hosted by Tullamore D.E.W. and @TheWhiskyWire on 2nd March 2016.
My tasting notes:
- Colour: Full amber gold (10/20)
- Nose: Sweet and spicy, pepper, cardamom, jammy red fruits and leather, biscuit malt
- Taste: Buttery, toffee, fruits, strawberry and apricot, butterscotch, suede leather, woody spices, nutmeg
- Finish: Medium, oak wood and hazelnut, raisin and milk chocolate
A nice integration of the sherry cask finish, well balanced but still quite light-bodied this has a gentle diversity and is incredibly smooth – a great sipping whisky!
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit a link to your review
Categories: Tullamore D.E.W.