Glenrothes 1996 Toasted Anise (46%, Wemyss Malts, HH, 401 Bottles, 2015)
- Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky
- Origing: Glenrothes Distillery
- Bottling: Wemyss Malts – ‘Toasted Anise’
- ABV: 46%
- Cost: £79.64
What they say
This is an indie bottling of single malt Scotch whisky from the Glenrothes distillery presented by Wemyss Malts. It was drawn from a single hogshead cask, which was filled in 1996 and emptied in 2015, producing 401 bottles. Wemyss have given this particular whisky the title ‘Toasted Anise’…
What I say
From the 1st batch release of single cask expressions in 2016 from Wemyss Malts. This ‘Toasted Anise’ was distilled at Glenrothes Distillery in 1996 and bottled in 2015 making it ~19 years old. Thanks to Wemyss Malts for the official sample.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Light champagne gold (5/20) medium-sized tears leave medium legs
- Nose: Porridge oats, golden syrup and buttery flapjacks, cereal barley, heather honey, ginger, coconut, apple, toffee apples, pear, calvados, slightly sweet and estery like pear drops sweeties
- Taste: Honey flapjacks, oaty, cereal barley malt, toffee, aniseed balls, ginger both stem and crystallized, toasted brown or wholemeal bread covered with alight ginger and orange marmalade, oily and luxurious in mouthfeel, toasted coconut, vanilla, white and milk chocolate.
- Finish: Medium-long sweet cereals and gentle spices
An effervescent dram with real multifactorial qualities, my overall opinion of this reminded me of spice-like popping candy with creamy vanilla in chocolate orange segments. A real smorgasbord of flavours but quite complimentary and integrated.
Shop for Wemyss Malts 1996 Toasted Anise (opens Master of Malt)
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Glenrothes, Speyside
This sounds very nice indeed. I am a big fan of Wemyss Malts – I think they’re one of my top three indie bottlers, and offer great value for money.