Deanston 12 Year Old 1999 Oloroso Cask – Glenkeir Treasures Selection (40%, The Whisky Shop, 2011)
- ABV: 40%
- Age: 12 Years Old
- Bottling: The Whisky Shop, Glenkeir Treasures Selection
- Category: Highland single malt scotch whisky
- Cost: £44 for 50cl
- Origin: Deanston Distillery
- Vintage: 1999
What they say
Distilled at Deanston distillery in 1999 and matured for a minimum of 12 years. Finished in Oloroso wood, a rich, fruity and sumptuous malt that is utterly unique. Bottled at 40% volume.
What I say
Deanston is one of my favourite ’boutiquey’ distilleries at the moment. They are not particularly well-known or mainstream and have relatively few expressions, unless of course you visit their distillery near Doune. I spotted this 12 year old Oloroso sherry matured version in the Whisky Shop as part of their ‘bottle your own from the cask’ Glenkeir Treasure Selection, so a wee 10cl was on the cards. I was not disappointed…
My tasting notes:
- Colour: Deep ruby amber
- Nose: Sherry leather fizz, old leather couch, tannic and fruity with that Deanston malted barley aroma
- Taste: Creamy chocolate malted milkshake, thick and viscous with oodles of toffee and juicy red berry fruits, reminded me a little of Harvey’s Bristol Cream sherry.
- Finish: Long, drying with spices, then sweet salted caramels and chocolate with macadamia/brazil nut oil and a fruity aftertaste
Would I buy it again:
Indeed, this is an absolute stunner from the Glenkeir Treasures Selection, a perfect example of that Deanston signature malt with all it’s inherent toffee sweetness and cereal barley body but layered with thick creamy fruit & nut chocolate bar derived from the sherry.
Leave a Reply