Region: Speyside, Scotland.
Owner: Bacardi (John Dewar & Sons)
Water source: Auchinderran burn
Ouput: 2.1 million litres alcohol per annum
Aultmore is a whisky distillery in Keith, Banffshire, producing an eponymous single malt whisky. Its name is a derived from the phrase An t-Allt Mòr, Gaelic for big burn, referring to its water source the Auchinderran burn.
It was founded in 1895 by Alexander Edward, then owner of the Benrinnes distillery. The distillery was originally powered by a waterwheel, and was soon adapted to use a steam engine instead, which ran day and night for 70 years, apart from maintenance. During maintenance hours power was provided by the mainly retired waterwheel. The steam engine is now on display at the distillery site. The distillery was expanded in 1898, and production doubled.
In 1899 the distillery was owned by Pattisons which went bankrupt in that year. Production plummeted, and the distillery closed. Aultmore reopend around 1904, and closed again during World War I due to barley shortages
It reopened again after World War I ended, and was bought by John Dewar and sons in 1923. Shortly thereafter, in 1925, it was bought by Distiller Company. It changed hands again in 1930, when it was bought by Scottish Malt Distillers.
The distillery was in the 1950s one of the first to use the draff, a wasteproduct of whisky production, as animal feed.
The distilleries malting floors closed in 1968 and the entire distillery was rebuilt and expanded in 1970. A new spirit still and wash still were placed in addition to the two stills that were already present, and Aultmore Reopened in 1971.
In 1998 the distillery was sold back to Bacardi subsidiary Dewars, which had previously owened Aultmore between 1923 and 1925. Aultmore produced their first official bottling, a 12-year-old, in 2004, after an earlier flora and fauna release, and an earlier rare malts release.
Aultmore Whisky Reviews:
- Aultmore 12 Years Old ~ 46% (Bacardi) - Review: Aultmore 12 year old single malt scotch whisky Aultmore Distillery – Bacardi 46% ABV £41.95 for 70cl from Master of Malt Score: 83/100 What they say: Born of fog, bog and brimming wee burns, a verdant nose of dewy moss and delicate flora, sweet liquid tracking a secluded path, gliding through green grass and […]
- Aultmore 14 Years Old 2001 73.71 A scene from Madeira ~ 55.5% (SMWS) - Review: Aultmore 14 Years Old 2001 73.71 A scene from Madeira Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Aultmore Distillery Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society Cask 73.71 ABV: 55.5% Cost: £51.10 from SMWS What they say: 14 Years Date Distilled: 24th September 2001 Cask Type: Refill Ex-Sherry Butt Region: Speyside Deveron Cask Type: Refill Ex-Sherry […]
- Aultmore 16 Years Old 1998 73.68 Summer landscape with woods ~ 55.6% (SMWS) - Aultmore 16 Years Old 1998 – 73.68 Summer landscape with woods Speyside single malt scotch whisky 55.6% ABV, £54.50 for 70cl from the Scotch Malt Whisky Society Score: 85/100 What they say: Cask No. 73.68 The nose rested on foundations of wood (carpenter’s workshop, sawdust, wood glue, hessian, cinnamon) but reached out to summer landscapes […]
- Aultmore 22 Years Old 1992 73.69 Dark side eclipsed by sweet joys ~ 52.9% (SMWS) - Review: Aultmore 22 Years Old 1992 73.69 Dark side eclipsed by sweet joys Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Aultmore Distillery Bottling: Scotch Malt Whisky Society Cask 73.69 ABV: 52.9% Cost: £79.80 What they say: Date Distilled: October 1992 Volume: 750 ml Colour: Caramelized sugar Age: 22 Cask Type: Refill sherry butt Region: Speyside […]
- Aultmore 24 Years Old 1989 73.60 Watching the Monaco Grand Prix from a roof terrace ~ 57% (SMWS) - Review: SMWS 73.60 Watching the Monaco Grand Prix from a roof terrace Aultmore 24 Years Old 1989 single malt scotch whisky 57% ABV £92.40 for 70cl from Scotch Malt Whisky Society Score: 88/100 What they say: Cask No. 73.60 Very deep aromas on the nose neat; beeswax furniture polish on a soft cloth, cedar lined Art […]
- Aultmore 24 Years Old 1989 73.66 Toffee and humbugs in a tea chest ~ 57% (SMWS) - Aultmore 24 Years Old 1989 – 73.66 Toffee and humbugs in a tea chest 57% ABV, £92 for 70cl Score: 74/100 What they say: We found something intriguing and attractive about the nose – dry, dusty woody impressions (tea chests, polished oak, old attics, forest floor, dried porcini) – along with rum-soaked raisins, burnt sugar, […]
- Aultmore 25 Years Old 1990 Cask 3241 ~ 57.8% (Whiskybroker) - Review: Aultmore 25 Years Old 1990 Cask 3241 Category: Speyside single malt scotch whisky Origin: Aultmore Distillery Bottling: Whiskybroker Sherry Butt 3241 ABV: 57.8% Cost: ? What they say: Distilled 15.05.1990 at Aultmore distillery in Speyside and matured for over 25 years in Sherry Butt 3241 before bottling 10.07.2015 at cask strength of 57.8% Lovely dark sherry colour, […]
- Aultmore 25 Years Old ~ 46% (Bacardi) - Review: Aultmore 25 Years Old single malt scotch whisky Aultmore Distillery – Bacardi 46% ABV £295.42 for 70cl from Master of Malt Score: 90/100 What they say: Reclined in damp shorn grass, vapours of lime and baked apples, each silken sip unveiling lush vanilla and buttery biscuits; dreich skies deserve a top-class dram. Tasting Note […]
- Aultmore Batch #1 ~ 53.4% (That Boutique-Y Whisky Company) - Aultmore Batch #1 (That Boutique-Y Whisky Company) 53.4% ABV, £34.95 for 50cl Score: 85/100 What they say: Aultmore is Gaelic for ‘Big Burn’ and is a popular blending whisky, however it also makes for a great single malt and ‘That Boutique-y Whisky Company’ snapped up some for this delicious bottling. ‘That Boutique-y Whisky Company’ bottles […]