History The Macallan distillery was founded in 1824 by Alexander Reid as the Elchie’s Distillery, a barley farmer and school teacher. Farmers had been making whisky on their farms in the area for centuries, distilling their surplus barley during the quieter winter months. In 1892 the new owner Roderick Kemp changed the name to Macallan-Glenlivet. From the original 2 stills it was expanded in 1954 to 5 stills before a new stillhouse was built in 1965 to house 7 stills. This expansion continued throughout the 1970’s reaching 21 stills by 1975. In 2001 The Macallan distillery opened its new visitor centre. In September 2008, the 21 stills used to produce 6 million litres per annum were insufficient to cope with demand and 6 stills in the old stillhouse were re-commissioned into action to increase output to 8 million lpa. In 2012 the 3rd rebuild of the distillery was announced, building commenced in December 2014 and the new building opened on 2nd June 2018 at a cost of £140 million. The expectation is to increase output by a further 1/3rd.
From its founding by Alexander Reid, through the subsequent owners of The Macallan distillery in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries and into the present century, The Macallan has been recognised for the quality of its product above all else. This is the foundation for the worldwide fame of The Macallan.
The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Macallan 10 Year Old Sherry Oak (2014)
- Macallan 12 Year Old Fine Oak (2014)
- Macallan 12 Years Old Double Cask (2016)
- Macallan 12 Years Old Sherry Oak (2014)
- Macallan Amber (2015)
- Macallan Edition No.1 (2017)
- Macallan Edition No.2 (2017)
- Macallan Fine Oak Triple Cask Masters’ Edition (2013)
- Macallan Gold (2014)