The Glenlivet Caribbean Reserve: Rum Barrel Selection
1. What they say
To create whisky with a tropical feel, our makers finished a portion of our smooth whisky in barrels that previously held Caribbean rum.
The result is a well balanced and exceptionally smooth whisky. Single malt, meet summer.https://www.theglenlivet.com/en-gb/whisky/caribbean-reserve-single-malt-scotch/
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose Sweet notes of pear and red apple meet a fabulous tropical twist of ripe bananas in syrup
- Palate Rich caramel toffee notes, followed by flavors of tropical fruits
- Finish Well balanced and exceptionally smooth
- ABV 40%
- Age NAS
- Bottler OB
- Bottling Caribbean Reserve
- Cask Bourbon & Rum
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £25-£35
- Origin The Glenlivet Distillery
- Region Speyside
- Released 2022
4. What I say
Thanks to The Glenlivet / ANM Comms for gifting me a bottle of this to try. It has been some time since I have had a bottle of The Glenlivet on the shelf, mostly as they are such easy-drinkers they invariably don’t hang around for long. This expression carries no age statement and has been finished in rum barrels for a “tropical twist”. Aimed very much with Summer drinking in mind and use in cocktails/long drinks fitting with The Glenlivets’s recent ad campaign attempt to shatter the stereotypes of whisky drinkers. Regardless (as I’m likely not the target market for this ;-D). I sampled this neat as a classic Glenlivet single malt, wary of the fact I don’t usually favour or find much appreciable about rum cask finishing.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Rich gold bronze (12/20), quick, medium-fine tears and legs.
- Nose Sweet, acetones, fruit, cereal and wood, pear and apple, banana and coconut (classic pairings) grassy hay and honey.
- Taste Light bodied, silky, fruity with hints of spice, apple, pear, peach, banana and apricot, light peppery, orange zest, cinnamon wood spice, dark brown sugar and woody oak.
- Finish Medium-long, syrupy banana fritters, honey, caramel becomes peppery later.
Drinkable and well-textured (light & silky or smooth) as expected from The Glenlivet. Filled with plenty of fruit, some tropical, with a touch of syrup and spice to help it along. A refreshing alternative to The Glenlivet’s classic 12 Year old expression for example and in similar price bracket.