The Irishman The Harvest Irish Whiskey
1. What they say
Previously known as Founder’s Reserve, The Harvest is a unique marriage of Single Malt and Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey. To honour Ireland’s rich agricultural and distilling heritage, we have chosen to rename our signature whiskey. Our name may have changed but our award-winning whiskey hasn’t! A marriage of heavenly proportions – 70% Single Malt and 30% Single Pot Still. Triple distilled, matured in American Oak Bourbon barrels, and crafted from a mash bill made entirely of Irish barley. Bottled at 40% ABV.https://www.walshwhiskey.com/our-whiskeys/our-whiskeys-the-irishman/
2. Official tasting notes
- Nose Zesty spice, black pepper & peaches.
- Palate Pot Still spice, dark chocolate and bourbon oak.
- Finish Oak and butterscotch.
- ABV 40%
- Age Undisclosed
- Bottler OB
- Bottling The Harvest
- Cask Bourbon
- Category Irish Whiskey
- Cost £33.50
- Origin Walsh Whiskey
- Region Ireland
4. What I say
The Harvest expression was previously released as available as Founder’s Reserve from The Irishman brand marketed and produced by Walsh Whiskey. Representing a re-brand from the previous dumpier bottle with dark label, this taller, textured glassware also features a hefty cork stopper, does the liquid inside live up to the fancy new exterior? From a selection of reviews across the range of The Irishman whiskies, I started with their staple entry-level expression made from 70% single malt and 30% pot still Irish Whiskey and matured in American ex-Bourbon oak casks.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour Full amber gold (8/20), medium-fine tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose Sweet, caramel and honey, apples, melon, touch of clove spice, cereal and grassy with a touch of mineralic flint, later pears, apple jelly and pear drops sweeties.
- Taste Balanced fruit and spice, tart tatin or poire, some honey, vanilla, black pepper, custard cream biscuits, this is medium-bodied but silky on the palate and feels thicker later, clove, nutmeg, husky cereal, woody oak, coconut mushrooms and creamy vanilla custard.
- Finish Medium, touch drying with the spices more vanillic bourbon oak and biscuity malt.
Robust thanks to the Pot Still spices bestowed by green barley, vanilla from the Bourbon oak and biscuity malt notes also lead to an entertaining and complex dram for an entry-level price.
7. Score 84/100