Glasgow 1770 Limited Edition Sauternes Cask Finish Cask #18/994
1. What they say
‘Sauternes Cask Finish’ has an outturn of 486 bottles at 53.7% ABV.
Each bottle comes with in-depth detail of the whisky within to showcase the true journey of the spirit from the malt variety used to the distillation style, original cask filling, type of finishing cask used and final bottling date.
Non-chill filtered and natural in colour, as is the standard for all Glasgow 1770 Single Malt Scotch Whiskies, these three limited edition releases are a true representation of The Glasgow Distillery’s innovative and experimental approach to whisky making.
Liam Hughes, CEO and Co-founder of the distillery commented:
“Something that sets us apart from most other distilleries is that we make three very distinct styles of single malt whisky at The Glasgow Distillery. Unpeated, peated and triple distilled spirit is a key feature of our annual production calendar and is characterised within our Glasgow 1770 Signature Range.
“With these three limited edition releases, we’re showcasing the incredible flexibility and versatility of our single malt by combining the different spirit styles with a range of interesting casks that we have been experimenting with at the distillery over the past couple of years.
“I’m really proud to be able to offer these three releases as an insight into what we get to see every day working at the distillery – innovation, experimentation and above all a commitment to quality. I hope everyone who makes a purchase chooses to open and enjoy these really interesting expressions.”
Mike Hayward, Co-founder, and Director of Distillery & Brands, commented on the different wine casks used to finish these three new releases:
“We’re excited to offer our customers a glimpse ‘behind-the-curtain’ and into the experimentations and cask-finishing trials we have been running recently. We have a really passionate and well-informed core customer base and I’m intrigued to see their reaction to these new expressions.
2. Official tasting notes
- “The ‘Sauternes Cask Finish’ perfectly rounds off our peated whisky in this fantastic French dessert wine cask to give great complexity and notes of sweet and smoky BBQ sauce, toffee and salted caramel with a deep earthy finish. Definitely one for any peat-heads.”
- ABV 53.7%
- Age 3 Years Old
- Bottler OB
- Bottling Limited Edition
- Cask Sauternes cask finish
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £50
- Origin Glasgow Distillery
- Outturn 486 bottles
- Region Lowland
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2018
4. What I say
Sampled as part of the Burn’s Night 2022 twitter tasting with Steve @TheWhiskyWiye and The Glasgow Distillery Company. Following on from their standard Triple distilled expression we moved on to some of the recently released (November 2021) Limited Editions featuring a variety of cask finishes. The first had been matured in ex-Bourbon and then finished in a Hungarian Tokaji wine cask. The second takes ex-bourbon matured Triple distilled spirit and features a finish in an ex Ruby Port Cask. The fourth expression uses Peated spirit matured in ex-Bourbon and finished in ex-Sauternes barrique.
5. The Whiskyphiles tasting notes
- Colour: Rich orange gold (9/20), thick oily legs and fat tears.
- Nose: Sweet and smoky, peanut and creosote, peanut brittle with juicy orange zest pieces, umami here, nori seaweed wrapped duck in orange sauce, leather polish, farmyard/barn fermenting hay smell, honey-glazed ham.
- Taste: Full-bodied, Sweet, soft brown sugar, caramel, some lemon and orange oil, smoke and more peanut, peanut brittle, a little dry rubber, swathes of peaches in caramel, suede leather and honey roast cashews.
- Finish: Long peat and sweet peanut brittle
My favourite of the tasting, the perfect combination of sweet and peat. I’ve long had a fascination with Sauternes-cask finished whiskies and this one really hits the mark with youthful peaty exuberance and leathery, stone-fruit skin sweetness in perfect harmony.