Glenallachie 11 Years Old Grattamacco Wine Cask Finish
What they say
To craft The GlenAllachie Wine Series, we first expertly matured our spirit in American Oak Ex-Bourbon Barrels. Subsequently, the whisky underwent additional maturation for almost two years in Wine Barriques meticulously sourced by Master Distiller, Billy Walker, imparting a distinctive twist onto the GlenAllachie spirit.
This ruby blush malt, brimming with notes of toffee, stone fruits and orange peel, is crafted from wonderful medium toasted Super Tuscan Barriques. These certified Organic Barriques were carefully selected from the Grattamacco winery in the beautiful Bolgheri area of Tuscany in Italy, and then bottled once optimum balance of wood and spirit was achieved.
This expression is bottled unchilfiltered for flavour with no added colouring at 48% ABV.
Official tasting notes
- COLOUR Rich Ruby Blush.
- NOSE Waves of honey, peaches and apricots, with toffee, almonds and orange peel.
- TASTE Toffee, heather honey, red berries and peaches, fused with apricots, orange peel and nutmeg.
What I say
Exploring some recent Wine Cask and Wood Finish Series from The Glenallachie. Following on very much from his successes with both BenRiach and GlenDronach, here Billy Walker has taken maturing ex-Bourbon stocks at the Glenallachie and paired them with some superb cask finishes to explore their diversity. Starting with this 11 Year Old finished in ex-Grattamacco winery Super-Tuscan wine barriques.
Thanks to The Glenallachie for provision of a sample of this product.
- ABV 48%
- Age 11 Years Old
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Grattamacco Wine Cask Finish
- Cask Grattamacco Wine Cask
- Category Speyside single malt whisky
- Cost £56.95
- Origin Glenallachie Distillery
- Outturn ~6000 bottles
- Region Speyside
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undisclosed
My tasting notes
- Appearance Ruby orange gold (11/20), medium-large, slow tears & numerous long, fine legs.
- Nose Sweet and fresh, berry fruits, hints of spice and tannins, strawberry, raspberry, bark, oak wood, spiced gingerbread, malty, fresh florality and grassy hay, toffee.
- Taste Medium-bodied, zesty orange peel, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg, strawberries and raspberries drizzled in honey, stone fruits, peaches in caramel sauce, clementine, with water, less zest and spice, more honey, fruit, apricot and peach melba and oak wood.
- Finish Long, sweet, toffee oak, orange zest and toasted almonds.
- Overall A fruity and zesty expression with plenty of spice, long lasting and takes water well which really softened the palate here and improved things slightly for me.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review