Starward 3 Years Old Batch 1
What they say
It’s a superb single malt from the Starward folks here, independently bottled by That Boutique-y Whisky Company! The first batch bottled by the Boutique-y bunch is a cracking Australian whisky, packed to the brim with rich red fruit notes, and bottled up at cask strength. The label features distillery founder David Vitale and distillery manager Sam Slaney, on a journey through space. Y’know, because Starward. It makes sense!
Batch 1 is a release of 466 bottles.
Official tasting notes
- Nose: Mince pie filling and Christmas cake, with a fair whack of ginger too. Vanilla and burnt sugar appears after a few minutes in the glass.
- Palate: Dried fruit galore, with some sherry soaked raisins thrown in for good measure. Biscuit dough, shortbread, and cinnamon sticks.
- Finish: Long with festive spices and rich vanilla.
What I say
Following Starward’s official Solera release with this Batch1 bottling from That Boutique-Y Whisky Company. Sampled (virtually) with their ambassador Dave Worthington as part of the celebratory release of their Australia Series.
- ABV 56%
- Age 3 Years Old
- Bottler That Boutique-Y Whisky Company
- Bottling Batch 1
- Cask Apera cask
- Category Australian single malt whisky
- Cost £70
- Origin New World Distillery
- Outturn 466
- Region Australia
- Released 2021
- Vintage undeclared
My tasting notes
- Appearance Dark ruby bronze (17/20), numerous medium legs and slow, medium tears.
- Nose Sweet and fruity, red berries, raspberry and strawberry, mince pies, savoury mincemeat, ginger, Christmas pudding, vanilla cream and brandy sauce.
- Taste Medium-bodied, dried fruit, raisin, trail mix, nutty, ginger spiced, orange peel, cinnamon, woody tannins and treacle toffee, creme brulee top, quite dark and spiced on the palate.
- Finish Long, herbal, cinnamon, spiced, woody toasted oak.
- Overall Massively chewy and woody and with plenty of spices and tannins too. Combined with all the dried fruit this did have a Christmas pudding & mince pie feel to it, careful addition of water will probably get the best out of this one.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: New World
Leave a Reply