Benromach Contrasts Peat Smoke Sherry Casks
What they say
Benromach Distillery in Speyside has launched a new limited edition single malt, Benromach Peat Smoke Sherry Cask Matured, with fewer than 2,000 bottles available in the UK.
Only ever produced in limited runs, Benromach Peat Smoke Sherry Cask Matured uses the finest Scottish barley malted with high levels of peat smoke at 55ppm.
Laid down in 2012 before being bottled in 2021, this expression is natural in colour and non-chill filtered. It has been matured exclusively in first-fill sherry hogshead casks which results in cinnamon and ginger aromas with rich dark chocolate and stewed red berry flavours. This leads to a full finish of peat smoke and sweetness.
Keith Cruickshank, Distillery Manager at Benromach, said: “This small batch vintage expression has been created in a style which is deliberately different to the subtle smokiness Benromach is well-known for. This is only the second time we’ve released a heavily sherried peat smoke expression and we’re very proud of its unique flavour profile. Although it is different from the first sherry matured peat smoke expression we released in March 2019, given the enthusiasm we received from whisky fans we expect this release to be very popular.
“Like all expressions in the Benromach range, what always remains consistent is our traditional approach to whisky making. Made by hand for genuine character, our small team of distillers rely entirely on their expertise and senses to make the finest handmade whisky, matured exclusively in first-fill casks.”
Benromach Peat Smoke Sherry Cask Matured is available at selected retailers worldwide. Stockist information can be found on the brand website: https://www.benromach.com/stockists
Benromach Peat Smoke Sherry Cask Matured has an RRP of £49.99. Prices in international markets may vary due to local taxes and import duties.
What I say
The latest addition to Benromach’s Contrasts range serves up a classic mixture of sweet & dry. Combining peated malt at 55ppm and 1st fill sherry casks for under £50.
- ABV 46%
- Age NAS (9 Years Old)
- Bottler Official
- Bottling Contrasts: Peat Smoke
- Cask Sherry cask
- Category Speyside single malt whisky
- Cost £50
- Origin Benromach Distillery
- Outturn 6000 bottles
- Region Speyside
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2012
My tasting notes
- Appearance Dark orange gold (12/20), quick, medium tears and legs.
- Nose Peaty, smoke and ash, but with a distinct sweetness, like Beech wood smoke, mineralic and salinity, chalky, Edinburgh Rock, boozy fruitcake, Christmas cake or pudding, sherry, raisin, orange, still smoky.
- Taste Smooth and rich, caramel, toffee, juicy red apples, raisins, mineralic chalky and flinty, peat, a little heathery, honey, red apple, panna cotta, banana angel delight, creamy vanilla, creme brulee, pipe tobacco/smoke, bbq marinade and rosewater.
- Finish Long, drying peat smoke and salinity returns around the edges of thick malt.
- Overall A delicious experience of dry and sweet from the combination of peated malt and sherry casks. Still quite a lot of minerality and salinity which had me viewing this as not your ‘usual’ Benromach.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review