Glenfiddich 23 Years Old Grand Cru
What they say
Grand Cru encapsulates the very spirit of luxury and craftsmanship of Glenfiddich while surpassing the very notion of Single Malt, as it sets out to redefine moments of celebration through a new and extraordinary drinking experience.
Created for the non-conformists, it has been uniquely crafted as a surprising delight, at every sip, for those tearing up the rule book and who want to celebrate big life moments in a whole new way.
The remarkably rich whisky, already intense in flavour thanks to long maturation in American and European oak cask, is finely finessed with influences from French cuvée casks. This is the only Glenfiddich Single Malt to undergo this exceptional finishing.
This exclusive Glenfiddich expression has been matured for 23 years in American and European oak casks and elegantly finished in rare French cuvee casks. The finest flavours from Scotland and France have been fused together through the art of experimentation, to redefine moments of celebration and create a new and extraordinary drinking experience.
- Unique expression matured for 23 years
- Hand picked American and European oak casks
- Finished in rare French Cuvée casks for up to 6 months
- Exclusive marriage of the finest flavours from Scotland and France
- Fine packaging ideal for gifting
- Perfect for celebrating special occasions
Official Tasting Notes
- Colour Dark gold.
- Nose Apple blossom, freshly baked bread and candied lemon.
- Taste Layers of rich vanilla oak, sweet brioche, sandalwood, pear sorbet and white grape.
- Finish Long, opulent and sweet.
What I say
Exploring the upper end of Glenfiddich’s core range thanks to Master Of Malts exclusive Glenfiddich Tasting Collection . Glenfiddich 23 Years Old features a French Cuvee (not Champagne) cask finish. I’ve previously sampled this unreduced at Cask/Batch Strength of 56.4% so I was keen to draw comparison to the final product released at 40%.
- ABV 40%
- Age 23 Years Old
- Bottler William Grant & Sons
- Bottling Official
- Cask French Cuvee Cask Finish
- Category Single Malt Whisky
- Cost £220
- Origin Glenfiddich Distillery
- Outturn n/a
- Region Speyside
- Released 2021
- Vintage Undeclared
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Bright amber gold (11/10), medium-fine tears and oily, medium legs.
- Nose Sweet and estery, wood polish, touch of spice and tobacco leaf, fruity apple, pear, touch yeasty/doughy brioche, woody oak, waxed lemons, candied peel, vanilla and fresh lemon zest.
- Taste Gently sweet, lemon drizzle cake, soft brown sugar, brioche, vanilla custard, light-medium bodied, creamy textured, apple puree, poached pear, sprinkle of ground white pepper, white grape and floral lily.
- Finish Long, slightly drying, caramel, toffee, white pear.
- Overall Soft, creamy and reserved plenty of brioche, white pear & grape and soft brown sugars. In general intensity of flavour and mouthfeel I preferred this at cask strength rather than the reduced final version.
Available from Master of Malt and The Whisky Exchange
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: Glenfiddich, Speyside
Leave a Reply