Oxford Rye Whisky 2017 Harvest Batch 1
What They Say
Here at The Oxford Artisan Distillery, responsible farming will always be the first stage in our whisky making, taking our time, regenerating the land and supporting biodiversity with every bottle.
Our whisky began life with a diverse maslin grain harvest in 2017, with several different grains growing together in the same field including multiple ancient heritage rye strains (77%), wheat strains (22%) and even a few oats and a few thistles, such is the result of letting nature take its course in a healthy, diverse field. It is this authenticity, transported straight from our fields, that gives our whisky its flavour. We like to say we’re farming a new approach to spirits.
Our inaugural whisky is worth the wait. The 70% rye, 20% wheat and 10% malted barley really show their worth with herbal notes from the rye, nuts and caramel from the wheat and sweet malted barley combining with oaky vanilla. A long fermentation in Hungarian oak vats contributes fruity and creamy notes. The grain was ‘flaked’ in a centenary mill, rather than milled; these flakes baked around our still’s steam coils and gifted us with toasty sourdough crust flavours.
The liquid was rested in two virgin American oak casks, bringing out the clove and nutmeg which pair so well with rye spice, showcasing our grains and offering a spirit to behold.
Official Tasting Notes
NOSE: Banana yogurt, flowery herbs, freshly baked bread, caramel, butter, clove, nutmeg and nuts
PALATE: Creamy banana bread, toasted sourdough, almonds and vanilla
FINISH: Praline with refreshing rye and warming spices (yin and yang)
OVERALL: Fruity and spicy, with layers of cream, bread and herbs
What I say
Following on from tasting the 2019 Harvest New Make Rye Spirit, here is the first batch release Oxford Rye Whisky. Distilled form the 2017 Harvest and matured in American oak casks.
- ABV 46.3%
- Age NAS (3 Years Old)
- Bottler The Oxford Artisan Distillery
- Bottling Offical
- Cask American Oak
- Category Rye Whisky
- Cost £95
- Origin The Oxford Artisan Distillery
- Outturn ?
- Region England
- Released 2021
- Vintage 2017
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Mid gold (6/20), medium tears and legs
- Nose Cabinet makers shop, new wood, oak, oiled pine, sappy, lemon fresh, banana, toasted oak wood, coconut, lemon cheesecake or lemon curd, popcorn, cereal, clove, cinnamon, doughy bread.
- Taste Medium-full bodied, glutinous, almost umami, cereal, spice and wood, nutmeg, cinnamon, greener herbs, lemon and orange citrus, gingerbread with chocolate chips, toffee/caramel.
- Finish Long, sweet, citrus boiled sweets/lemon barley sugars and soft baking spices.
- Overall Delicious, not as spicy as anticipated, this is delivered with a lovely sweetness and plenty of cereal nature and is well textured on the palate.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Categories: World Whisky