Wemyss Malts Stem Ginger Preserve Mortlach 1995-2014
What they say
Another one of Wemyss Malts’ ever-popular independent bottlings of single malt Scotch whisky! This one is a 1995 vintage Mortlach single malt, matured in a single hogshead until 2014. It was bottled with a small outturn of 303 bottles and bestowed the name Stem Ginger Preserve
What I say
More Mortlach, this time a single ex-Bourbon Hogshead Cask released by Wemyss Malts. true to these releases this has the descriptive title Stem Ginger Preserve,
- ABV 46%
- Age Undisclosed (19 years old)
- Bottler Wemyss Malts
- Bottling Single Cask Release
- Cask Bourbon Hogshead
- Category Single malt scotch whisky
- Cost £100
- Origin Mortlach distillery
- Outturn 303 bottles
- Region Speyside
- Released 2014
- Vintage 1995
My tasting notes:
- Appearance Dark yellow gold (6/20), slow, medium tears and medium-fine legs.
- Nose Sweet, new paint, coloured pencil shavings, fruity, apple, orange, peach, apricot, banana, ginger root, heather honey, soft leather, chamois, buttery, oily.
- Taste Medium-full bodied, thick malty, golden syrup, allspice, ginger, fruity, pear, peach melba, nectarine, pineapple, heather honey, later oak wood, soft leather, creamy vanilla and creme caramel.
- Finish Long, vaporous, ginger and orange marmalade, woody oak.
- Overall Lovely, juicy and bright fruit notes, plenty of ginger but also great chamois leathery notes also, a little buttery and oily in places too.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review