Basil Haydens Bourbon
- ABV: 40%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- Cost: £37.50
- Origin: Jim Beam distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Crafted in 1992 by Booker Noe as part of the Small Batch collection, Basil Hayden’s® introduced a more subtle side of bourbon compared to its counterparts.
This style of bourbon was inspired by 1792 whiskey pioneer Meredith Basil Hayden, Sr., a rye farmer from Maryland who moved to Kentucky and began distilling. He chose to distill his bourbon with a higher percentage of rye, and Booker set out to create a similar high-rye mash bill that would offer the same refined, approachable taste profile.
Today, this bourbon stands as a tribute to Meredith Basil Hayden, Sr.’s high-rye mash bill ingenuity, as well as to Booker Noe, a true innovator who sought to welcome new drinkers into whiskey.
Official tasting notes:
Charred oak and sweet notes of vanilla & caramel with hints of dried fruit
Charred oak flavor that is complemented with sweet brown sugar, a touch of black pepper, and dried fruit to round it out
A pleasant, lingering charred oak finish with a touch of dried fruit
What I say
Basil Haydens Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, sampled as part of the Master of Malt/Drinks By The Dram American and Bourbon Whiskey advent calendar.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Dark amber gold (11/20), medium tears and medium, strong legs.
- Nose: Soft, sugary and sweet, vanilla fudge, caramel, oak wood, a touch of dried apple.
- Taste: Medium-light bodied, sugary fudge, vanilla, caramel, a touch of pepper, slightly bitter oak wood, some prune, blackberry and apple.
- Finish: Medium, sweet soft vanilla fudge and oak wood.
A relaxed and easy drinking bourbon, soft and sugary and full of vanillic oak wood.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review