Rampur PX (45%, OB, 2016)
- ABV: 45%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Indian single malt whisky
- Cost: £68.95
- Origin: Rampur distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
Rampur PX Sherry Finish Indian Single Malt Whisky Non-Chill Filtered – A limited 48 Casks release.
A few exceptional casks of Rampur Single Malt Whisky post maturation in American Oak were handpicked by our Malt Master and transferred to PX Sherry Butts from Jerez, Spain for further maturation. The result is a rich and fruity whisky with layers of complex spice and dried fruit.
Official tasting notes:
Nose: A flare of sweet spiced aroma evoking the nostalgic notes of toffee, dried fruits and cinnamon; a dash of creamy vanilla and rain forest honey follows.
Palate: Rich sweet caramel twirled with layers of spices entices the taste buds to detect winey texture & mouth feel.
Finish: Long finish with dried fruits; complementing the vanilla & honey after taste.
What I say
Sampled during the Rampur tasting celebrating Diwali. Hosted by Sanjeev Banga – President of International Business, Radico Khaitan, Kunal Madan – Assistant Vice President of International Business, Radico Khaitan and Anup Barik – Master Distiller, Rampur Distillery who led us through the Rampur range and story. The next expression to be released in 2016 was an adaption of the select expression by a 8-9 month finish in ex-PX European sherry oak casks.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Bright gold (8/20), quick, medium tears, medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet and dry, banana in chocolate, vanilla, apple, lychee, strawberry, rose, milk chocolate, slightly tannic and vinous, later faint gym rubbers/plimsoles.
- Taste: Sweet, fruity and floral, rose, apple, blackberry, red fruits, prunes, fig, red grapes, milk chocolate, toffee, oak wood and woody spices; cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Finish: medium-long, soft fruits, sweet and floral rose, quite rounded.
Core flavours still present, sweet, fruity and floral with plenty of red & dried fruits added here and a touch of chocolate from the PX finish.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Leave a Reply