Rampur Double Cask (45%, OB, 2018)
- ABV: 45%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Indian single malt whisky
- Cost: £58.95
- Origin: Rampur distillery
- Vintage: Undeclared
What they say
The newest jewel in the collection is the Rampur Double Cask Indian Single Malt Whisky Non-Chill Filtered.
This beautiful expression is crafted by maturation in handpicked American Bourbon barrels & European Oak sherry casks.
Delicate balsamic vanilla notes from the American white oak compliment the full-bodied aroma; Rich caramel, dried dark fruits and spicy tonality from European oak add to the depth.
Official tasting notes:
Nose: Full-bodied aroma of tropical fruits, smooth malty tones and oaky notes from double oak-wood barrels create an aurora of flavors.
Palate: Lustful elegance of sweet fruits; riding on rich sherry for a blissful nirvana.
Finish: Tantalisingly long, lingering and generous.
What I say
Sampled during the Rampur tasting celebrating Diwali. Hosted by Sanjeev Banga – President of International Business, Radico Khaitan, Kunal Madan – Assistant Vice President of International Business, Radico Khaitan and Anup Barik – Master Distiller, Rampur Distillery who led us through the Rampur range and story. The double cask expression was made by combining 2/3 whisky matured in ex-Bourbon and 1/3 matured in ex-Oloroso sherry casks, released in 2018.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Amber rose gold (9/20), medium tears and long, fine legs.
- Nose: Slightly deeper and darker on the nose, more woody oak and richer, bramble, elderberry, dark and dried fruits, later rose, apple and lychee, molasses, tannins, coffee and chocolate.
- Taste: Light-medium bodied, oily and waxy, vanilla, mixed fruits, berries, raisins, strawberry and rose jam, touch of malt, toffee and chocolate, then coffee, cigar boxes, tobacco leaf and creamy vanilla.
- Finish: Medium-long, softly spiced and sweet fruity florality.
More depth and a touch more complexity, the soft tropical fruit and floral spirit nature are reserved for the finish here.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
1 reply »