Armorik Classic (46%, OB, 2020)
- ABV: 46%
- Age: NAS
- Bottling: OB
- Category: Breton single malt whisky
- Cost: €40
- Origin: Distillerie Warenghem
- Vintage: undeclared
What they say
Armorik Classic is the result of ageing in bourbon casks of varying age. Smooth, creamy and rich, it highlights the quality of ageing on the Breton coast and the expertise of our cellar master.
Official tasting notes:
- Nose: Intense and complex. At first lightly spiced grains emerge followed by a hint of exotic fruit (mango, passion fruit).
- Mouth: Attack of fresh fruit (peach and apricot), then a very pleasant smoothness of vanilla with good body. Hints of roasting to enhance the full body and strength of the whisky.
- Finish: Very good length, lively and warm, with a hint of iodine.
What I say
A revisit of the Armorik range starting with their Classic edition (replacing the previous Edition Originale). This is distilled in Brittany at Distillerie Warenghem and subject to ex-Bourbon maturation on the Breton Atlantic coast.
My tasting notes:
- Appearance: Barely gold (4/20), medium tears and strong, medium legs.
- Nose: Sweet and fruity initially, with plenty of citrus fruit, apple and pear plus a little ripe banana and some florality, hints of alcohol spirit and spice, biscuity malted barley, vanilla pastries and biscuits, custard creams, nutty hazelnut and almond.
- Taste: Light-medium bodied, mouth-coating and a little oily, pleasant softened orchard fruits and cereals, some light white pepper and ginger spice, orange and grapefruit zest, oak wood, becomes sharper and more bitter.
- Finish: Long, sweet honey, iced pastries, oak wood and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Very well put together and promising, the ex-Bourbon oak is not too heavy an influence here and mostly describes their spirit character and coastal maturation. It becomes a touch abrasive later on the palate which hints at slightly younger maturation – I’m guessing some components may be under 8 years old perhaps.
Don’t take my word for it:
Bloggers submit link to your review
Leave a Reply